cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glenuig
Contributor
Message 1 of 40

Re: 42mbps on 78mbps package + high pings for gaming (150-250ms spikes)

It was 60mb maximum a month after installation. Last few months its been as the screenshot below:

speed.png

My cabinet max according to the website is 80MB :

cabinet.png

And my IP profile as requested is :

ipprofile.png

Maybe is I actually recieved a connection that was even 2/3rs of what Im paying for I might be able to game on it who knows. 

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 40

Speed problem

Glenuig

As I said you'd be better starting a new thread about your problem so I have moved this. Edited the subject to speed problem to try and distinguish it from previous thread can you do the same.

0 Ratings
Glenuig
Contributor
Message 3 of 40

Re: 52mbps on 78mbps package.

Well thanks for the help but the truth is BT customer supoort in india tell me many times my connection speeds and Pings to gaming servers are well within the " upper and lower limits" of my Profile. 

Translation = they are not doing anything.

I am wondering can you pay non BT engineers to check you line and cabinet connection or improve it with Fibre to premises etc? BT seem useless by all accounts wouldnt mind paying to get it done properly by someone who speaks english and listens to you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 40

There are a couple of things to try before you get an engineer involved.

What type of Homehub and modem do you have?

0 Ratings
Glenuig
Contributor
Message 5 of 40

Maybe you could edit the title to 42 on a 78mb profile?

0 Ratings
Glenuig
Contributor
Message 6 of 40

It was installed with Homehub 4 and ECI openreach Modem ( 6 months ago). But I soon changed to my own belkin router as hub was rubbish for configuring for gaming.

1 week ago BT india engineer said a last resort before I leave and cancel my contract they would try it with the new Homehub 5 free of charge. Anyway it arrived and I was all excited and When I opened box it was a homehub 4.

First time I ring up to complai I was told they sent me a homehub 4 replacement becuase homehub 5's do not work on Copper to the premises connections like mine. I asked around bt customer support (UK Order section ) and forums  and found that that answer was total nonsense just to fob me off.

Rung up to complain again  about that was told that 'noone ever would have promised me a homehub 5 ( She did) and if i wanted one i had to pay 45 quid or exted me contract my for another 18 Months (LOOOOL). They put me through to a line manager who apologies for being lied to twice, but still will not give me a free homehub 5 as promised.

Anyway I ordered homehub 5 off ebay god knows if that will increase or decrease my speeds.

Cancelling my contract soon and continuing to make people aware of the shambles of bt customer support. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 40

I can't edit it on the first message, you have to do that however it might not work because it was on previous thread but give it a try. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 40

42mbps on 78mbps package + high pings for gaming (150-250ms spikes)

Have you been switching the white Openreach modem off and on?

Do you have the HH4 connected or is it your own router?

0 Ratings
Glenuig
Contributor
Message 9 of 40

The open reach modem has been switched off about 6 times since August ( Had to move pwer adapters and other times because router was getting errors unless I restarted Modem.

I am currently using the Belkin router but When I use the Homehub 4 the speeds and pings are exatly the same. The line was tested by technical support  using the homehub 4 router and got the same 'acceptable' results as just now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 40

Make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the router. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see what speeds etc that you get. 

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings