cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Re: Activation date yesterday but still no internet

having a basic phone is very useful not only for fault finding with broadband but for contacting BT
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
BrightStarFOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Same issue. Moved to a new flat recently, in which the previous owners had no phone line; it was their holiday home. Signed up with BT, sent an engineer to fit us a phone line. Lovely guy, set everything up, and said he would usually wait till we had ACTUAL internet, not just connected, but it could take 24 hours, and he had another job. Understandable, and he had done more than we expected. Our Home hub 4 gave us the orange light, the bar like one, and underneath we have a flashing red broadband light. Waited 24 hours for activation, no change. Rang BT who found nothing their end, and so they said they'll give it until Wednesday, when an engineer will visit to see what's what. The gentlemen on the phone was very quick to mention a charge of £129 for the visit before going. I'd happily pay that if I had connected and since been disconnected or something, but it hasn't changed since the engineer first connected it up so I has never worked. In my mind, his job surely isn't finished here, and I wont be paying that charge.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

the charge is an advisory one it is only made if the problem is caused by extension wiring or equipment connected to the phone network
0 Ratings
BrightStarFOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

The only thing connected to the phone line is the equipment BT provided. I'm not sure what extension wiring is?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

any additional phone sockets after the master socket
0 Ratings
BrightStarFOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

There is one socket in the flat, and it's non -NTE5 or something - it's just a single socket(so I have a BT provided splitter so can plug in phone and Hub), and when you unscrew it the whole front comes off, not just a half.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

without connecting a phone you will never know if you have a line fault or not you can get a ring tone without a dial tone having a basic phone connected will always help in fault finding with broadband
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

you can get a basic corded phone for around £5.00
0 Ratings
BrightStarFOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

I can't. However our engineer tested the line with a device he brought along
0 Ratings
BrightStarFOX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

You can call BT on a mobile. I have only just moved and so haven't bought a phone yet. What's a Port swap?
0 Ratings