Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estdalej
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: BT Cloud Freezing

Go to solution

I have similar problems.

I've just installed BT Cloud and attempted to backup 20GB of my Windows PC, but basically it stops anything else running on the PC. I attempted to reduce it to Low priority, but this doesn't seem to have any effect.

Do you have any advice on avoiding this slowdown? I'm on a 70MB/sec subscription.

Thanks, John

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Go to solution

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@estdalej performing the backup can be quite demanding on your processor and the speed of the cloud service can be affected by the processing power of your CPU. How old is your PC? 

Our Cloud expert @JoeV may be able to offer you further advice on this.

0 Ratings
estdalej
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

True.

It's a new HP laptop bought in January.

It appears that sometimes when the backup encounters a file it cannot access (error message: "The file could not be processed." eg EDB.log), it just sits there, absorbing 30% of the CPU for ever more, and has to be manually deleted. On other occasions it manages to move on.

It would be helpful if it could be run at a lower priority.

Regards, John

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @estdalej,

Thanks for posting, and sorry you're having trouble.

This definitely shouldn't be happening, so I'd like to look into it. Could you provide a bit more detail about what you mean by 'Files that BT Cloud can't access'? Are you thinking of a specific sort of filetype within your backup, or do you have some files in your backup folder that the BT Cloud app isn't able to access due to custom permissions / etc?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
estdalej
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hello @Joe

Naively I first asked for a backup of C:\, then seeing the time it was taking, I cancelled it and started C:\Users\John. Generally BT Cloud seems to skip over files that are open, like Outlook .pst's. The main problem has been C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.Log. My permissions are Full control, 

but the file is held open. If I attempt to copy it manually I get an error "File In Use: The action can't be completed because the file is open in State Repository Service".

Regards,

John

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi John,

Thanks for explaining - I now see the issue.

BT Cloud isn't designed to back up files that are constantly in use, like Outlook .pst files or any other file that an application constantly updates. I would strongly recommend against setting BT CLoud to back up your 'AppData' folder - it contains lots of 'system' files that wouldn't be useful to restore in the event of switching PC (when you reinstalled Apps these system files would just get re-generated).

The reason for this is that BT Cloud uses 'file versioning', which means when it detects a file has been updated it uploads the file as a new version. THis can be very useful for things like word documents (As you can recover an older version if you saved some changes but then weren't happy with them), but for something like a .pst file it would constantly be uploading new versions, which would quickly fill up your cloud quota.

My recommendation would be to set BT CLoud to back up your 'content' folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos) plus any other folders on your PC where you may keep user content.

Thanks,

Joe