cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Re: BT Home Hub 5 Dynamic DNS

Okay this is marked as solved but it is not clear how.  What is more it is 2 years old and the screen shots look nothing like my BT Home Hub 5. Mine has "port forwarding" but that does not seem to work as described, and there is no mention of "Dynamic DNS"

Until someone at BT tidies up the search function on this site I am thinking the problem might have been solved but is now broken again.

Please let me know if anyone has got a web server running from behind this router in 2016 - preferably with how.

P

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

@petr1

You need to be in advanced mode settings. Look at the A-Z help page on the HH5.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 27

@petr1 - take a look at the screen shots and procedure from message 15 of Connecting IP Camera to Home Hub 5 - Port Forwarding.

This was for a Webcam, but the procedure should still be the same.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Thanks Keith

Thought I was after "port forwarding" but no, "Dynamic DNS" is a different thing I see now.  And the screen-shot mentioned is Advanced Settings-->Broadband-->Dynamic DNS 

P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

The No-IP people think they are doing port forwarding -that is what took me to the wrong part of the HH5 setup.  Not working yet but at least I get an error:

Dynamic DNS service status: Connection error - Unknown no-ip.com error

Any ideas?  This is a web server (apache tomcat on a raspberrypi and I can find the public ip of the machine with "wget http://ipinfo.io/ip" It does not serve the test page with that IP whereas it is fine using the local IP. This suggests to me that the problem is nothing to do with no-ip)

keith - can you just confirm I should be able to get my set-up working using noip and the BT Home Hub 5?

Yes other applications work - cameras etc (by port forwarding) but this is, apparently, not the same.

P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 27

Perhaps I'm being a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm confused as to what you're trying to do now. To confirm:

- You have a Raspberry Pi on your home network and it's hosting a Tomcat web server
- You want this accessible from the Internet via a name you've assigned through No-IP

In that case you follow steps 1 - 4 of the message I referenced previously. You don't need step 5 as HTTP/HTTPS already exist as applications. Then for step 6 you simply use port forwarding of HTTP/HTTPS to your Pi.

Where do you see the "Dynamic DNS service status: Connection error - Unknown no-ip.com error" ? On the Home Hub?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Thanks smf22 for getting back to me.

I see - we need to set up both Dynamic DNS _and_ Port Forwarding

Yes, tomcat/rpi/BTHome Hub 5 - I can't get boring webpages to work, and am not hopeful about the interesting thing I want to do 🙂

I believe I have followed all the steps in your post with screen-shots and still no joy.  Same problem:

http://<public ip>:8080/xxx/yyy.html doesn't work while http://<private ip>:8080/xxx/yyy.html does.

The error message:

appears at the bottom of the BT Home Hub Manager page

Advanced Settings --> Broadband -->Dynamic DNS

Am I right in assuming this is not a no-ip problem?

P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 27

@petr1 wrote:

I believe I have followed all the steps in your post with screen-shots and still no joy.  Same problem:

http://<public ip>:8080/xxx/yyy.html doesn't work while http://<private ip>:8080/xxx/yyy.html does. 

When you say "public ip" above, are you actually specifying the IP address as seen from the Home Hub Advanced Settings -> Broadband? For example http://86.X.Y.166:8080/... or the actual No-IP name?

@petr1 wrote:

The error message:

appears at the bottom of the BT Home Hub Manager page

Advanced Settings --> Broadband -->Dynamic DNS

Am I right in assuming this is not a no-ip problem?

Looks like the Home Hub can't connect to No-IP to update it, but not an overly helpful error message. Might be a username or password issue. Can you post the event log from the hub Troubleshooting -> Event Log and select DynDNS from the drop down?

Assuming you have a Windows PC, have you tried the Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC) for Windows to make sure you can connect OK, username and password are correct etc.?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

- The actual ip address - so, I assume, noip is not involved.

- The pi is running debian (raspian) and this mc is puppy - a ms free household!

- I will look at the logs tomorrow..

have a good evening

P

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 27

@petr1 wrote:

- The actual ip address - so, I assume, noip is not involved.

- The pi is running debian (raspian) and this mc is puppy - a ms free household!

- I will look at the logs tomorrow..

have a good evening

P

- Correct. No-IP are not involved if you specify the IP address

- What did you specify for the port forwarding in the end? I don't see an existing app for TCP port 8080 so presumably you created one?

- You could try and run tcpdump on the Pi and this way you'll see whether anything's coming from the outside, through the HH and hitting port 8080 on the Pi. Something like tcpdump -i <interface> port 8080 should show if it's working.

Regards

0 Ratings