Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lesb
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Re: BT Infinity 4 Connection Confusion

Go to solution

Hope someone can help ?

I have had BT Infinity 4 installed, the wireless is fine, the Hub cat5 to PC is fine.  If I connect cat5 from the hub and to my Netgear Switch then from the switch to my pc I don't get any internet.  Also if I connect cat5 to the swicth to the BT TV box - nothing.

I have searched the internet and tried asking BT (call centre) with no joy.  The only thing I can find is that BT Infinity 4 is VDSL and not compatiable with ADSL ?  But how can I use a switch for all my other cat5 equipment - 2 x PC's 2 x printers, scanner, franking etc.  Do I need some other equipment for the Net Gear Switch to work ?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

I assume you have an FTTP installation like this? As that would be for Infinity 4.

BT Infinity (FTTP) Fibre To The Premises

So you have an optical modem connected to a home hub. Which BT home hub do you have?

Which model of Netgear switch do you have?

If you intend to run a BT YouView box on the same Ethernet switch as other devices, you will need a managed Ethernet switch like the Netgear GS105E or GS108E..

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Sounds like your netgear switch is at fault
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Lesb
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

We recently moved to a new property and had BT Infinity 4 installled last week, previously used Virgin cable.

I have a BT Hub 6A and I have three Netgear switches, two I have been using for years with no issues, the third I bought last week GS308.  They are not managed.

As I mentioned earlier the switches all work when connected to my IT equipment and to the PC's.

I note your comment about a managed switch and will research these now.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

It could be some form of incompatibility between the home hub and the Netgear switch. I assume the link light is showing that the port that is connected to the home hub, is active?

I do know that there are issues when you try to share the YouView box and other devices on a non-managed switcn

See Problems sharing the signal to the YouView box with other devices.

A managed switch would allow you to see the actual connection speed, and whether there are any data packets being forwarded to each port.

See Supplemental information for Netgear managed switches

0 Ratings
Lesb
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
My main problem is there is no signal from the home hub when connected to the switch and onto other devices. It's as if the hub and switch are not speaking ?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@Lesb wrote:
My main problem is there is no signal from the home hub when connected to the switch and onto other devices. It's as if the hub and switch are not speaking ?

Is the link light on the Netgear switch lit up?

Have you tried a different port on the home hub 6?

I assume you have tried a different patch cable?

How far away is the switch, from the home hub, could the length of cable be an issue?

It could be an problem with duplex mismatch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

where the two devices cannot establish a common link speed and mode?

This would be apparent on a managed switch, as it would show up on the connection stats, as shown on the link on my last post.

0 Ratings
Lesb
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.

I have just plugged everything in again and the hub to switch to pc is now working fine.  All the lights are flashing and I am getting 90+ download and 30+ upload.  This is so frustrating having been trying to get this working for the last four days.

I will call BT about the speed, should be 300 +.

Thanks again for your quick responses and helpful comments.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Perhaps you have just been unlucky in the past? A mismatch may have been the cause.

There also seems to be a very wide variation in the quality of the home hub 6s, so if you get a lot of issues, you may be better using a different router.

You may still have issues with the YouView box multicast streams.

0 Ratings
Lesb
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Don't want to put you on the spot, but any recommendations for a decent router and do I replace it with the 6s ?
0 Ratings