cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amf00769
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Re: BT Infinity - Download speed drop by half in one week

I am in a similar situation, over the past week I have noticed a significant drop in my download speed from 37Mb to 22Mb. Interestingly there has been virtually no drop in my upload speed approx 7.7Mb. I am currently using IE8 and have Home Hub v2.0. I have reported this situation to BT who are going to look into this problem and confirmed that they will telephone me on Mon 13th Feb. From past experiences I have always found BT reliable at calling me back, so I will have to wait for their answer.

In the interim I am going to try IE9, which I don't like to see if there is any difference, I may also try Chrome.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Unzen
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

^^^ - Almost an EXACT clone of me. 

Since Infinity was installed, it's been absolutely flawless. Sometimes to the point where downloading games through Steam (and some being 20GB+ in size) has seen them download in a very short space of time.

Yet this week has seen the service go all over the place. One minute I can flat-line at 32MB/s with a decent ping and solid upload of 8MB/s - the next it can plummet to 0.20MB/s - yet bizarrely retain and upload speed of over 7MB/s.

No new equipment has been introduced this week apart from a BT engineer visit swapping of the BT Hub on Thursday morning. It's not fixed it unfortunately and frustratingly for myself in simple 1 vs 1 games like Company of Heroes - my ping can be 216+ - almost not worth bothering with. And as for online FPS's - forget it! 😉

I'm hoping that with my symptoms appearing to be a common theme of complaint - that it's more likely an Exchange issue that BT is in the process of fixing? I'd be more concerned if everyone on here had zero issues and mine was the only one reported.

Is it worth reporting back to BT that the hub swapout did nothing to improve the service?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
amf00769
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

09/02/12 amf00769 wrote:

I am in a similar situation, over the past week I have noticed a significant drop in my download speed from 37Mb to 22Mb. Interestingly there has been virtually no drop in my upload speed approx 7.7Mb. I am currently using IE8 and have Home Hub v2.0. I have reported this situation to BT who are going to look into this problem and confirmed that they will telephone me on Mon 13th Feb.. From past experiences I have always found BT reliable at calling me back, so I will have to wait for their answer.

In the interim I am going to try IE9, which I don't like to see if there is any difference, I may also try Chrome.

IE9 or Chrome made no difference. I received the phone call @10.00am from Bt (India) as promised on Monday 13/02/12 asking me to confirm whether there had been any change in my download speed, in fact if anything it had worsened. I was told that he would call me back @ 16.00pm. This time there was no call back!

On Tuesday after countless attempts I finally succeeded in again speaking to a "technical advisor" in India, who confirmed that there was a fault and that it had been reported to my exchange, and that I should receive a call from a Bt engineer within the next few days. Guess what? I am still waiting !

My fault tracking ref of the 09/02/12 still showed the problem was with Bt retail servers and was ongoing.

This is still the latest update from Bt re this fault as of this morning.

I could not get through to Bt yesterday, just left queuing!

However this fault does now appear to have been rectified.

Speedtest.jpg

Still no feedback from Bt
How I wish that Bt would move its call centres / technical help back to the UK as sadly this part of Bt is sadly lacking and offers a very poor service for what is generally a good Broadband product.
Incidentally when I asked about the future availability of the 100Mb fibre optic service they didn't even know what I was talking about.

0 Ratings
paulfel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Here we go again!!! Infinity has dropped again, now down to 13Mbps.

What's concerning me is, where 'max achievable speed' was 38Mbps it now shows max achievable speed of 14.26Mbps.

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 8

Where do you see 'max acheivable speed' ?
0 Ratings
paulfel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Using http://www.speedtester.bt.com

When you carry out the test, the green bar shows test result, on the right hand side it shows the maximum achievable speed.

If you search this site others have posted a picture copy of their results, I'm not able to do that, but this is the text below.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-14.26 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 14.26 Mbps

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 8

No, that says "the acceptable range of speeds..." and "IP Profile for your line...". It doesn't say "max acheivable speed" anywhere.

Is that what you meant, or is it somewhere else?
0 Ratings
paulfel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

On the Green Bar Graph (I can't copy and post here) states. "Max Achievable Speed" which is the same figure as the IP Profile for my line 38716Kbps. It only shows Max achievable speed when using the BT Speed Tester http://www.speedtester.bt.com./ 

Other testers do not show max achievable. 

After reboot of the white Openreach Modem we are back to normal here, Test = 37Mbps. 

Openreach engineer tested my line and stated my line has the potential for 130Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload, clearly the product I have, being Infinity Option1, is set to 40/2Mbps at the exchange.

0 Ratings