cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

How did you assign static IPs ? Ive been trying to do that all afternoon for my IP Cameras. The Smart Hub Manager accepts my IP numbers and 'saves' them when I click on Save but when I check I find they are still DHCP and have gone back to the original IP assignment. I phoned BT technical support but the 1st rep I spoke to had no knowledge of Static IPs and the 2nd one said that they don't support Static IP addresses and wouldn't help. I am trying to assign addresses between 192.168.1.78 and 192.168.1.88.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

@peter-d-w wrote:

How did you assign static IPs ? Ive been trying to do that all afternoon for my IP Cameras. The Smart Hub Manager accepts my IP numbers and 'saves' them when I click on Save but when I check I find they are still DHCP and have gone back to the original IP assignment. I phoned BT technical support but the 1st rep I spoke to had no knowledge of Static IPs and the 2nd one said that they don't support Static IP addresses and wouldn't help. I am trying to assign addresses between 192.168.1.78 and 192.168.1.88.

@peter-d-w

Set the IP adresses manually on the IP cameras, outside of the DHCP range of the home hub. The camera will appear in the list of devices, and you can then assign port forwarding rules to it. The home hub will leave them alone.

e.g. use 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.60

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

@peter-d-w

At my daughters house, she has a smart hub, and a Foscam IP camera.

I accessed the camera settings and changed them from DHCP to manual assignment.

In that case I used the following.

IP address 192.168.1.31

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS server 192.168.1 254

On connecting this to the smart hub, and waiting about five minutes, the IP camera appeared in the list of devices, and showed an IP address of 192.168.1.31.

I then created a new port forwarding rule specific to the camera`s port numbe, then assigned that to the IP camera as shown on the device list.

The smart hub is actually simpler to port forward than the earlier hubs, as it all done on one screen.

The DHCP server on nearly all of the home hubs, is a bit unreliable.

Your adresses 192.168.1.78 and 192.168.1.88.are within the DHCP range, and are going to give you no end of problems.

I would use 192.168.1.30 to 192.168.1.40.

Static IP adresses are not normally assigned within a DHCP range unless the router supports address reservation, which the home hubs do not.

PS I split your post away from the main thread, to avoid confusion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Keith, That is useful information. I had changed the default IPv4 configuration start address allocation in the hub to start at 192.168.1.100. One of my Foscam Cameras in particular is being assigned a different IP address by the smart hub to that which is set up in the camera so I would have liked to be able to reserve that address in the hub for this camera. 2 of my other cameras are working as they should. I still have 3 other cameras to set up, hopefully they wont take as long as the first 3. I do hope that the Static Address Assignment (or 'reservation') feature in the smart hub will be fixed.

Regards,

Peter

0 Ratings