Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Re: BT Smart Hub - Wi-Fi Issues

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I've switched over to BT from Sky and am having issues with the wifi.

I plugged the homehub in yesterday and got all devices connected absolutely fine, and it was all working fine (getting 4mbps less than my connected line speed, but fine with that).

However, this morning, all of my devices are only connecting wirelessly for about 30 seconds and then losing the connection (I can't even access the homehub ip). Switching the wifi off on the device and then back on again makes it all work for another minute and then it goes again.

To give an idea of my setup, I have an AirPort Extreme connected via home plugs that provides an additional wireless network at the other end of the house. If any devices connect to that, then the internet stays constant and no dropouts, so it is only when devices are connecting wirelessly directly to the homehub.

I connected wired to it and, looking at the confit page, there was a firmware update done last night to version SG4B10002244. I can only assume that this update has caused the issues?

Hope that all makes sense. Is that the latest firmware update and if so, is there any changes I need to do to get the wifi working again? The only change I've done to the config is to switch off the smart setup. I haven't split the SSIDs yet as I've never had to do that on the AirPort Extreme and only really want to do it as a last resort (it was allocating devices absolutely fine yesterday until the firmware update overnight). In its current state though, its effectively unuseable.

Thanks
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

@meltonblue

Welcome to this forum.

I have moved your post to a new thread, so you can get help from the community.

0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Keith. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Ratings
zoots
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

I had a similar issue and resolved it by going into the UI page via a wired connection and separating the wireless bands and also choosing different wireless channels as my hub was not identifying that both my neighbours and my smart hubs were all using channels 11 and 40.  This was causing interference and disconnecting my wireless devices.

If you want to see the wireless channels of other routers in close proximity to you are operating on use a laptop with wireless and install a program called inSSIDer.  Search for inSSIDer free.

I hope this helps resolve your problem.

0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks zoots, I'll give that a go this evening. I would have thought there would have been issues pre the firmware update if it was interference, networking issues rarely make sense to me though!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

After a firmware update, its always a good idea to do a factory reset on the home hub to ensure that the correct default configuration file is in use.

0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Ok, to give an update on the above...

I tried to do a factory reset but pushing the button on the back of the home hub seemingly didn't do anything at all (no light change or anything)! I did do a power reboot and this worked for around 20 minutes, but then the issues came back. 

Ive now split the SSIDs and think I know where the issue is (though I have no idea why it would cause an issue). If I connect devices to the 5ghz band, then they work absolutely fine and I get download speeds of 51 meg (I'm still not sure where the 4 meg has disappeared considering I'm synced at 55, but I get 51 wired too...). When I connect to the 2.4ghz band, then it works for a couple of minutes, then goes again with the same issue before. 

I noticed though, that when connecting to the 2.4 ghz, it was also assigning an IPV6 address(es) as well, which it didn't when connecting to 5ghz. I have a feeling it's something to do with this and something around IPV6 that is causing the devices to hang. The other thing to mention though is that the "my devices" bit on the home hub was saying I had devices connected to the 2.4 that were actually connected to the 5, so it was tricky to get to any kind of root cause. 

Is there a way of disabling IPv6 on the home Hub? As effectively, the 2.4 range is pointless really whilst it is doing this. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

A different turn this morning! It now appears to be all working fine across both bands, but it seems to be down to IPv6 as it is no longer assigning addresses to any device. The odd thing is the hub says it's enabled but on each connected device, it says "this either does not support or is not configured for IPv6 addressing".

As long as it stays like that, I'm happy!
0 Ratings
meltonblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

And now it's assigning IPv6 addresses again and the problem comes back.

Is there a problem with this and Apple devices, as that's the other common denominator?
0 Ratings
Ian7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Hi

I would try a factory reset - make a note of the changes you have made to the HUB and then do a factory reset by holding down the recessed button for ten seconds. Then re-enter your changes.

Other ideas/questions

-  have you setup the network to enable roaming between your two networks (ie same SSID's & passwords) ?

-  how have you set up the DHCP server over both of the networks, separate or shared ?

-  Do you still have this connection problem to the HH6 if you switch off the airport extreme ?

-  Have you tried wireless mode 2 on the HH6?

0 Ratings