Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: BT have been charging me for email account and now registered debt

Go to solution

I just discovered the exact same thing and have not got a clue what to do about it. Some time last month I applied for credit and got refused citing my credit report. I thought this strange as I had always received my credit report monthly and it had been execllent. However there was an unpaid account logged with a different credit reference agency from BT that was in registered unpaid since 2012! I could not believe it! At first I had no idea what it could be then discovered it was this BT premium email.

I remember having this back in 2011 as I needed to migrate my email across so paid the small amount of £1.50 a month. At the end of 2011 I no longer needed it and cancelled the account with BT, or so I thought, and cancelled my subscription payment. I was unaware however this was not a subscription payment but some kind of credit agreement (despite never signing for such). BT also failed to register that I called them to cancel and continue my account rolling right up to now, over 4 years! At no point during this time did they contact me or did I have any idea that this account I believed to be cancelled was accrueing debt.

Ironically I have since become a BT customer again wtih Broadband/Landline since Sepetember 2014, something I am looking to change after being treated so unfairly.

So two hours of phone calls later and they knocked £19 off of the £72.80 I owed for an account I did not want and believed to be cancellled. I could not careless about the money though. It is the damage to an otherwise spotless credit history. I have been working hard to ensure my credit references are good as me and my wife are soon looking to get a new house and mortgage-  something I fear now will be stolen away for the sake of an email. I cannot put into words how much I despite BT right now! I always pay my debts and had I been contacted about this would have paid despite my belief the account was cancelled.

Did you manage to resolve this? Does anyone have any idea what I can do? All I want is my credit hisotory to be put right and not have my chance of getting our future family home jeopadised? If anyone has any advice that would be great. I have launched a complaint with BT but still do not know how this will help resove my problem. If any one from BT would like to offer assitance that would be most welcome, perhaps they can manage a better job than the terrible customer service offered from your call centers!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Go to solution

Hi mrpmoon,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your premium mail account.  Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll be happy to get this looked into further. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

An update for anyone else having this problem:

In the end I had to pay this money (I thought it was easier to clear the debt then follow a complaints procedure) since it came down to my word against BTs that I cancelled it and of course I was never going to win that one.

More importantly on the credit reference side; I have been in touch with the credit refernce provider who I have been informed by BT should be in the process of contacting the BT acquisitions team to get the black marks removed against my name.

Whilst not exactly great as long as it does not impact on my families ability to get a house I will be happy enough wtih this result. I have heard nothing back yet (contact was made about two weeks ago) but these things can take upto 28 days.

Fingers crossed it clears up my credit file - I will post the end result up here for others who find themselves in this ridiculous situation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Final update. After paying the bill and going through the credit reference agency - this was amended on my credit file and no lasting damage was done.

If anyone else comes up against this I would suggest:

-Cancel with BT immediately and get it confirmed in writing as this was the mistake I made the first time around.

-Pay the outstanding debt initally and seek compensation after.

-Speak wtih the credit reference agency to get the file amended - they will contact BT and get this sorted out, it will likely take between 21 and 28 days.

Thanks,

0 Ratings