Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilgreig
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Re: BT price changes April and August

Go to solution

Having received my "Price increase notification" last week, which comes into force on 7th January, I phoned up BT in Cardiff to give notice to move/cancel my broadband and line rental due to the price increase, yesterday.

I was told that I would lose my £5 discount on my mobile phone.

After some searching, I found the above post which confirms that I should not lose the mobile discount. I phoned BT at Cardiff again and got a different person, informing them of the above post and was asked to wait whilst he checked with someone. He came back to me and told me indeed, I do get to keep my discount. He then said he would put a mail out to all at customer service workers and talked me through what his text woud say, whilst typing the said text and hit send, confirming that all staff have now received it.

Late last night, I received an email from BT confirming me leaving with a paragraph specificaly saying that as I was cancelling my broadband, I would no longer receive my £5 mobile discount.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion as to whether I will still get my discount or not.

Thanks for any advice and help. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Go to solution

I couldn't say definitively what will happen to your discount BUT when I received my £5 mobile discount earlier in the year it was only being offered to customers having BT broadband (which of course you are now leaving).

I have found this is in the T&Cs here https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/special-offer.html#mobile-terms

BT Broadband customers who cancel their BT Broadband services during or after the 12 month minimum term, will pay the higher price of either £10 a month (if they have Plan 1), or £15 a month (if they have Plan 2).

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

It's very common to get conflicting information from BT agents - and forum posts are not immune from conflicting information too. Obviously the world moves on and information can change over time too.

But like @MadRob says, I would also expect you to forfeit your £5 BT mobile discount as you are terminating your BT Broadband contract. Obviously your contract, and any email BT sent you when you took out your contract, should definitively state your specific services, pricing and conditions.

If you can be bothered....

....you could raise a complaint with BT that you were given incorrect infomation by BT when you first called them (the calls should be recorded and/or the notes on your records should be updated on your account to reflect the conversation).

As a consequence you have spent time on a further call that you shouldn't have needed to - and of course, you have helped BT by identifying a member of staff who gave you incorrect information and who could similarly misinform other customers, and hence who may need training. i.e. you have actually saved BT money compared with the potential costs of future complaints against the same individual.

BT may give you a goodwill credit to your account. Depending on whether or not you wish to stay with BT Mobile you could - either alternatively or additionally - negotiate to leave BT mobile with no exit fee, then reapply as a new customer (albeit on a different number) and probably get a deal that's similar to the £5 discount anyway!

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry about any conflicting information provided, to clarify you won't lose your £5 discount on BT Mobile if you cease your BT broadband due to the price changes and inform us that this is the reason why you have decided to leave.

Just like our last price change, if a BT Mobile customer with BT Broadband chooses to cancel their BT broadband because of the price change, we will allow them to keep their £5 discount for as long as they keep BT Mobile with us.

I hope that clears things up.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
neilgreig
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

It was after reading this post No281 in this thread:- https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/29

EDIT :- Thanks Neil, your post has crossed with mine.

It is a shame that this problem/lack of customer service knowledge  has been occuring since the start of the year, and then to be sent an official email today stating that I will lose my discount........so still not sure.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@NeilO - thanks for clarifying the specific case of pricing changes as a reason for leaving BT Broadband.

Having clicked through on the link provided by @neilgreig it seems that the email with erroneous information on the discount that was sent to a customer in February 2017 is still erroneous and is still being sent out.

Whilst your apology is welcome, please can you actually get the "automated" emails corrected?

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying this for us @NeilO. Feel free to remove my earlier post if you wish so as to avoid confusion. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Its sad that this is still going on, in the same way people get emails stating it will cost them £xxx hundreds of pounds to cancel even thought they have told BT they are leaving because of the price increase.

Look at No. 17 in the terms:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post19thoctober2016mobile-service.html

we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.

0 Ratings
neilgreig
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@kkkk

Link not working

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16