Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajhill
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: BT smart hub and infinity

Go to solution

Sorry to reopen this but I am still having similar trouble and would appreciate some help.

I have just moved into a house with Fibre to the Premises and an openreach hub bolted to the wall.  I got the Infinity package ordered and a smart hub arrived in the post.

My question is - if I ignore the openreach box and plug my smarthub into the phone socket, how am I going to get fibre speeds?  The optical cable comes into the openreach box which is not connected to my phone socket in any way.

Currently my smart hub works fine plugged into the phone socket, but at the old speeds I had with the normal broadband package.  Plugging the red cable into the Port 1 on the openreach box does nothing - it seems my only connection to internet is through the phone line.

Please tell me - should I be getting 70Mbps from my phone socket (At the moment I'm not, and can't understand how I would but would be happy if that 'just worked')?

Should my openreach box (the point where fibre enters my house) be connected to the smarthub?

Any advice greatly appreciated.  I have spent several hours on hold waiting for the fibre to the home helpdesk to answer my 3 calls and can't face another one.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Go to solution

See link for connecting your Smarthub to the Openreach modem if you have FTTP.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774269/1466063702/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xN...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-...

EDIT: Just checked the guide and it is not very good. You should connect the Red port on the Smarthub to the Openreach modem on the wall. 

You do not connect through the phone socket if you have FTTP.

If you have FTTC you use the phone socket.

Are you sure that your ordered FTTP and that it has been activated?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
yes the Openreach ONT Optical termination terminal box should have the Red Ethernet cable connected to the ONT and the other end of the RED Ethernet cable connected to the red port on the rear of the smart hub there should be no connections made to your normal phone socket
0 Ratings
ajhill
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you for your clear answers. I have been trying this connection with only the red cable but with no success.
I've been told my FTTP is active and I think they even remotely checked my socket whilst I was on the phone to them and there were no problems, but clearly somethings amiss and I'll have to brave another long phone call/wait to the FTTP team.
Thank you. I'll post my solution when I find it...
0 Ratings
ajhill
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Just to close this off - managed to talk to FTTP team last night after only 35 mins wait (win!) and he got me to plug the smart hub in again and Hey Presto! - 52Mbps. They had obviously remotely cleared whatever fault there was and it's now running sweetly.
The red LAN cable does indeed connect the hub to the ONT box and the phone cable plays no part- a confused BT help desk gave me that red herring a week or so ago.
Thanks again for your top advice on this very helpful forum.
0 Ratings