cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DriftwoodArt
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: BT smart hub and infinity

Received the Smart Hub yesterday but my existing Openreach connection is not to a phone socket, it's an optic cable coming through the wall into the modem.  There doesn't appear to be any way to use the new hub.

And please, don't tell me every 5 minutes that you 'will sort my problem and get it working' as the robotic trying to be helpful (unsuccessfully) people kept telling me on the phone and chat yesterday, all they did was ask me to do everything I'd already tried anyway.  Thats an hour of my life  I'll never get back again

IMG_4884a.jpg

The cable on the left comes through the wall with a short tail.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

@DriftwoodArt wrote:

Received the Smart Hub yesterday but my existing Openreach connection is not to a phone socket, it's an optic cable coming through the wall into the modem.  There doesn't appear to be any way to use the new hub.

And please, don't tell me every 5 minutes that you 'will sort my problem and get it working' as the robotic trying to be helpful (unsuccessfully) people kept telling me on the phone and chat yesterday, all they did was ask me to do everything I'd already tried anyway.  Thats an hour of my life  I'll never get back again

IMG_4884a.jpg

The cable on the left comes through the wall with a short tail.

You must have an FTTP connection in which case you connect the hub using the red WAN socket to the ONT (modem).

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If it doesn't have a red socket, you have the wrong version of smart hub.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If you have FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) see this guide

Smarthub FTTP

If you have FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) see this guide

Smarthub FTTC

0 Ratings
DriftwoodArt
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

It doesn't have the red WAN socket which is what I have been telling all the helpdesk folks.  Are there other versions available then?

Thanks

IMG_4885a.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Yep, you need the FTTP version.

0 Ratings
DriftwoodArt
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

If you look at the guides I posted you will see that the FTTP Smarthub has port No 4 listed as a WAN port (red sticker) where as the FTTC guide shows the Smarthub with all the ports listed as Gig Ethernet ports.

You need the FTTP one.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Don't bother with the helpdesk, ring the FTTP guys here 0800 587 4787. You may have to wait until Monday.

0 Ratings