cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Re: Broadband Keeps Disconnecting (BT Home Hub)

BT are starting to become a joke now. it happens to me too. and also it seems to have quartered my internet connection! we had 13 mb/s download and 1mb/s upload now i don't even get that! i get 3mb/s down and 0.5 mb/s up. it says it gets slower per amount of users in my area but i certainly do not think 1 in every four people got BT internet overnight! seriously becoming an absolute joke!
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

I moved your post to start your own as the other thread was solved and over a year old

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

master socket is the one closest to the front door i believe so it's connected to the master socket.. BT Speed Tester says i should be getting at least 8mb/s download and 0.8 mb/s upload, then i run a non biased (due to it being BT it could be adding more than it really is) and i get between 3-6 mb/s download and 0.5-0.7 mb/s upload.. http://gyazo.com/7c4c5366a0768ccc2884f12edfc44af6 on my ASDL settings it says i should have about 14 mb/s down and 1.14 up but this says otherwise: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2902068926 i must admit, that's the highest upload it's given me over the last day however with this being the only thing running the internet at the moment isn't great. before i used to get at least 12mb/s download and 1mb/s upload when my laptop, my PS3, my brothers laptop and his xbox were all connected to the internet, so you can see my frustration. I need this fixed because i am a competitive Battlefield 3 player and play for on of the worlds top clans and i am starting to fall behind from the rest because they all have 'fibre optic' which isn't available in my area.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

you need to run btspeedtester with ethernet cable with nobody else on the net and then post stats - don't reset router before test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

will do tonight, about to go out with mates now soo i'll post after tea time..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

there is always someone around to help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

The BT speedtest is the only one accepted by BT Wholesale for speed problems and is used by all ISP's when problems occur as it is not affected by external internet activity unlike other speedtests
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

http://gyazo.com/add36b0cc6af849238ff4ac0de63b701 the orange means it can be improved.

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 29

But the numbers mean that the connection is vastly faster than you said in your first post.

It is very common for the extension wiring in peoples' homes to act as a radio aerial and pick-up radio interference.  This interferes with your broadband and slows it down.  If you unscrew the faceplate of your Master Socket and take it out you will find another socket underneath called the Test Socket.  You should also find that all your telephone extensions have gone dead because they a wired into the faceplate you removed (if not then something is wrong).

If you plug your router into the Test Socket and restart it then you might see an immediate improvement in the router sync rate.  For example, I was at a house yesterday where doing this doubled the sync rate, from 3.5Mbps to over 7 Mbps (in this case it turned out that there was a unfiltered telephone on an upstairs extension, but there can be many different causes).  You may or may not know how to read your routers stats but it is important to do this because the improvement in router sync rate may not, in all cases, feed through immediately into an improved result in a speed test, although it will eventually.  So sometimes people try this and think they have been unsuccessful when really the test has succeeded.     

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

if you could give me a step by step on how to do that i will

0 Ratings