cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Re: Broadband Speed Very Poor

Just thought I'd make my first ever post on these forums and say that I am experiencing something very similar. My BT Infinity service for the last 2 years has been top notch, getting a stable 40-50mb and never had any problems except for unavoidable errors when something goes wrong on BT's end.

Since last night however, my internet has been SLIGHTLY slower, hitting an all time low of 0.5mb download (while bizzarely enough keeping my upload speed at the usual 10-12mb) and occasionally going back up to an acceptable speed of around 42mb only to drop down to 5mb in the last few hours. Also before these issues, I'd be able to download several things at over 6mb/s with no effect on my ping while playing other games or chatting to my friends on voip. Last night I was struggling to get over 100kb/s on my downloads, and my ping was around 500 while downloading. Even after my speed 'recovered', my ping would still get absolutely brutalized whenever something was downloading, such as doing a speed test for example.

I've tried all the usual stuff, turning it off and on again, phoning up and getting told to turn it on and off again etc. I've really never had reason to complain about BT, until now. As of typing this message, my download speed is at 11mb, which isn't the lowest it's been, but it's a far cry from the 50mb I should be and have been getting for the last 2 years. Also my upload is 11.8, which is faster than my download which is sadly hilarious.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Hi Kirur

I moved your post on to its own thread rather than having you jump onto another posters. This will allow you to get replies relevant to your problem and avoid confusion with the posters whose thread you were on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Apologies for hijacking a thread, I just felt like it was a similar issue and would be best to post there too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Still getting it today, my DL speed is at a shocking 4mb, can't even watch videos on youtube at a reasonable speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Do you have an Openreach modem?

What Homehub do you have?

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I've got an Openreach Modem, and I believe my Homehub is #3.1.png

As you can see, the speed I'm getting is a far cry away from what I'm paying for. My upload speed is nearly twice as fast as my download! 

I've tried all the usual stuff, turning it on and off again. BT support said the speed test is fine on their end.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Your down IP profile is sitting at 48.74Mbps which would indicate that there is no problem with your line. The problem may be with your internal wiring or your homehub.

If you have an Openreach modem you can make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal and run your speed test again. If the speed improves you will know it is a faulty hub.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Tried that, still pretty much the same. Up to 11mb download at the moment, but as I said in my original post it wildly fluctuates anyway, and is still nowhere near the speed I should be getting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

If a direct connection is not helping it rules out the homehub.

Have you tried the speed test on another device incase it is a computer problem?

Does the drop in speeds happen at any specific time, such as after 6pm or at weekends as this would tend to point to a congestion issue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I can't say for sure if it's happening at specific times, I noticed it the other night as late as 2AM.

I don't have another machine to test it on until tommorow.

0 Ratings