cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdcronin
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: Broadband dropping out when phone rings, BT say internal wiring but.....

Go to solution

I am also having this issue. I was on Sky broadband and had no problem, I changed to BT because the speeds were too slow on Sky and I knew my neighbours were on BT and had better speeds.

I have had an engineer visit, and they told me that I needed to change my entire wifi configuration and plug the BT hub into a different phone point. I did that and still have the same issue. Even if i unplu the Sonos etc, it still drops out when the phone rings and is answered, but strangely not when the phone is unanswered. 

I will get the enginner back, but just hoping for some advice to try and direct him to the problem.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Go to solution

I moved your post to star your own thread as the other thread was over a year old

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
James-C
BT Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

As well as imjolly's questions (most important one being, does it still happen when in the Test socket and if there is any noise on the line).

I am assuming that when the phone is answered the modem-router/HomeHub loses sync (connection) with the exchange rather than just the WiFi connection.

If it is losing sync between the exchange and the HomeHub/modem-router then maybe also try the configuration showed in the image below to see if it still happens.

Double filter.png

Click here to see a larger version of the above image

pdcronin
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Guys, sorry for the delay in replying. I have added the extra spitter and done thr quite line test. No noise on the line, and i am afraid the additional splitter didnt help.

We are not plugged into the main phone socket, but i have tested the hub on that socket and its the same issue. I am attaching the router log at a point in time where i went to make a call from the phone, and the bradband went down. As you can see it comes back up pretty quickly after the phobe call ends. I have also attached the speed test diagnsotic results.

Again, many thanks for your help.

BROAD BAND TEST.jpgROOTER LOG.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

then sounds like a high resistance fault and you need to report a phone fault to 151 no mention of broadband  once fixed will help broadband 

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pdcronin
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Will do. Many thanks again.

0 Ratings
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

FYI - I had a line fault and I had the same symptoms as described here. When the phone rang or I made an outgoing call the ADSL connection dropped. Now that the line fault is repaired I no longer have this issue.

0 Ratings