cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
505 Views
Message 51 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@gg30340 wrote:

Be careful

We can't guarantee the accuracy of all technical information posted by the community.


But the information was posted by a BT employee! (i.e. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance.). If you can't trust them who can you trust? Smiley Wink

 

 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
490 Views
Message 52 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Be careful

We can't guarantee the accuracy of all technical information posted by the community.


But the information was posted by a BT employee! (i.e. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance.). If you can't trust them who can you trust? Smiley Wink

 

 


You guys are badly off topic and should have carried out this discussion in a separate thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
486 Views
Message 53 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

I would say it is relevant and to do with the topic for anybody who is going over their monthly limit to know if they are going to be charged for that or not but that is only my opinion.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
480 Views
Message 54 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@prm1 wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

If you switch off your Hub the Usage monitor can still accumulate usage. If this usage is ridiculous you have no convincing way  (IMHO) of showing that it was not you that caused it.

This is an over simplification but hopefully makes the point.

 

If you do not keep your Hub on 24/7 it is difficult to help you.

 


Hi vofsanity2

 

But hasn't Mark got proof that the use was impossible because, like me (see my first post in this thread), he couldn't possibly have used the amount that they say he has in a 24 hour period.

 

I liken BT to a petrol station that tell you their pumps are correctly callibrated.  Then one day, even though your tank can only take 40 litres - they tell you you've put 65 litres in it.  You would quite rightly refuse to pay and bring in the authorities!


He has not got proof.  He has no infrormation on his IP Profile at the time the problem occurred. He has been switching off his hub that has possibly lowered his profile.  etc etc.   We need to get a consistent set of data to build up a convincing case.

0 Ratings
469 Views
Message 55 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@gg30340 wrote:

I would say it is relevant and to do with the topic for anybody who is going over their monthly limit to know if they are going to be charged for that or not but that is only my opinion.


Touch and go maybe. But, trying to be objective, I concur with gg. Some customers will worry about those charges, might remember previous threads, might still be under the impression that there is a month's amnesty - I never saw an announcement that the 2-strikes- and-you're-out policy had disappeared (if indeed it has) and be glad to know that the issue has not been resolved. Were it to have its own thread it might well disappear. Just trying to keep fellow customers clearly informed as best as possible, given that BT have failed.

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
458 Views
Message 56 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Touch and go maybe. But, trying to be objective, I concur with gg. Some customers will worry about those charges, might remember previous threads, might still be under the impression that there is a month's amnesty - I never saw an announcement that the 2-strikes- and-you're-out policy had disappeared (if indeed it has) and be glad to know that the issue has not been resolved. Were it to have its own thread it might well disappear. Just trying to keep fellow customers clearly informed as best as possible, given that BT have failed.



For what it's worth, IMHO this thread has gone a little off topic. I believe it was to discuss whether BT's metering of usage was accurate.  Clearly in my case (and possibly others?) it is not only inaccurate but impossible (see earlier posts).

 

re a month's amnesty... Well, I was told 'not to worry' by BT on 12/01/2014 because this was the first time I would go over my monthly allowance... that conversation wasn't recorded so I have no proof!

 

BT used to include a line in their 'Important notice about your broadband usage'  email that referred to such an 'amnesty' - in November 2012 I received a mail that included the line :-

Charges will apply from the second month that the usage allowance is exceeded.

 

I note this line is no longer there in their latest notification to me (12th Jan 2014). 

BT are not being very clear on this subject - surely it is worth a thread of it's own.

 

cheers

 

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
451 Views
Message 57 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@prm1 wrote:

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Touch and go maybe. But, trying to be objective, I concur with gg. Some customers will worry about those charges, might remember previous threads, might still be under the impression that there is a month's amnesty - I never saw an announcement that the 2-strikes- and-you're-out policy had disappeared (if indeed it has) and be glad to know that the issue has not been resolved. Were it to have its own thread it might well disappear. Just trying to keep fellow customers clearly informed as best as possible, given that BT have failed.



For what it's worth, IMHO this thread has gone a little off topic. I believe it was to discuss whether BT's metering of usage was accurate.  Clearly in my case (and possibly others?) it is not only inaccurate but impossible (see earlier posts).

 

re a month's amnesty... Well, I was told 'not to worry' by BT on 12/01/2014 because this was the first time I would go over my monthly allowance... that conversation wasn't recorded so I have no proof!

 

BT used to include a line in their 'Important notice about your broadband usage'  email that referred to such an 'amnesty' - in November 2012 I received a mail that included the line :-

Charges will apply from the second month that the usage allowance is exceeded.

 

I note this line is no longer there in their latest notification to me (12th Jan 2014). 

BT are not being very clear on this subject - surely it is worth a thread of it's own.

 

cheers

 


It does have a thread of it's own !

 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Excess-Usage-charges-when-do-they-apply/td-p/11...

 

 

422 Views
Message 58 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@vofsanity2 wrote:

@prm1 wrote:

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Touch and go maybe. But, trying to be objective, I concur with gg. Some customers will worry about those charges, might remember previous threads, might still be under the impression that there is a month's amnesty - I never saw an announcement that the 2-strikes- and-you're-out policy had disappeared (if indeed it has) and be glad to know that the issue has not been resolved. Were it to have its own thread it might well disappear. Just trying to keep fellow customers clearly informed as best as possible, given that BT have failed.



For what it's worth, IMHO this thread has gone a little off topic. I believe it was to discuss whether BT's metering of usage was accurate.  Clearly in my case (and possibly others?) it is not only inaccurate but impossible (see earlier posts).

 

re a month's amnesty... Well, I was told 'not to worry' by BT on 12/01/2014 because this was the first time I would go over my monthly allowance... that conversation wasn't recorded so I have no proof!

 

BT used to include a line in their 'Important notice about your broadband usage'  email that referred to such an 'amnesty' - in November 2012 I received a mail that included the line :-

Charges will apply from the second month that the usage allowance is exceeded.

 

I note this line is no longer there in their latest notification to me (12th Jan 2014). 

BT are not being very clear on this subject - surely it is worth a thread of it's own.

 

cheers

 


It does have a thread of it's own !

 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Excess-Usage-charges-when-do-they-apply/td-p/11...

 

 


Phew Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
408 Views
Message 59 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Annoyingly after waiting in for a promised phone call between 10.00 and 12.00 today, they haven't contacted me. I've just spent 15 minutes on the helpline without getting put through and I've now sent them another e mail.

 

My issues are twofold - I've looked at the links to the charging thread and the debate about whether or not we get charged for the first month we exceed the limit. Obviously I'd prefer it if we didn't (on my first call the person said I wouldn't be charged more than £50 for exceeding the limit, so thats another variation) . But my overiding concern is how their systems have shown me having used 90GB of data in 24 hours with an IP profile of 7.15Mbps. And if there is a fault could it happen again, and again and again, racking up some serious overcharges.

 

My average monthly use is 2.2GB so 90GB is the equivilant of me having used 41 months worth of data at my normal rate in 24 hours! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
396 Views
Message 60 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit