Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Thanks for the update.

I'll post again when I hear back from BT but its clear they have a very inconsistent message - first month is free, first month will be charged, excess charges will be limited to £50.......

If I'd downloaded 90GB accidentally then I would pay for it but from all the info I have received on here thats impossible and I'm not aware of having done anything that would come remotely near to that figure in any case. Its not as if I was watching films all day - I've never watched a film on line, a bit of youtube is about the limit. 

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 62 of 113

Hi markgraham,

I'll be happy to have a closer look at this for you.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 63 of 113

Hello Craig

Thank you for the kind offer. I've just logged back in to the forum now to post an update. I've just had a call back and it seems that I've made some progress. The gentleman on the other end of the line actually listened to what I had to say and agreed straight away that it wasn't possible to download that much data. He did some further checks and rang me back. He agrees that something has gone wrong and stated clearly that it was BTs fault and that I would not be charged for any of this data - So thats a result! He's also arranging for some more technical checks to be done to try and find the cause of the problem and this might involve an engineer calling to do some tests from this end.

The bottom line is that finally someone appears to have listened to what I had to say and accepted that I hadn't downloaded this data, it was BTs fault, and he confirmed that for those reasons I wont be charged for it.

Its been a bit frustrating at times but it appears to be finally heading for a satisfactory outcome.

My sincere thanks to everyone who has helped on here. If anyhting changes I'll let you know.

Mark

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 64 of 113

@markgraham wrote:

... The gentleman on the other end of the line actually listened to what I had to say and agreed straight away that it wasn't possible to download that much data. He did some further checks and rang me back. He agrees that something has gone wrong and stated clearly that it was BTs fault and that I would not be charged for any of this data - So thats a result! He's also arranging for some more technical checks to be done to try and find the cause of the problem and this might involve an engineer calling to do some tests from this end.

The bottom line is that finally someone appears to have listened to what I had to say and accepted that I hadn't downloaded this data, it was BTs fault, and he confirmed that for those reasons I wont be charged for it.

Hi again MarkGraham,

Congratulations!!! I'm glad someone is getting somewhere with BT - as you may remember, I initially reported a similar fault on 12th January.  Today the status of that fault was unilaterally changed to 'resolved' by BT.  Furthermore I have had no response to a complaint over the same matter which was apparently 'escalated' to a supervisor almost a week ago.

Let me know how you get on with it in the future.

cheers

0 Ratings
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 113

BT have been back in touch today, as promised and it was the same person I spoke to yesterday. Investigation is ongoing but he said that they are now looking at a number of accounts which have had similar issues so there has obviously been a genuine problem somewhere. I dont know if thats any of you who have posted on this thread or some others altogether but its looking positive. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
sangamo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 66 of 113

I have had a similar experience.

On Friday 10th January I received an email warning me that I had used 8GB of my 10GB monthly allowance. My average monthly usage is 5 to 6 GB and has been consistent for many months. My usage pattern has not changed and I have not introduced any new or additional devices. Only my wife and I have access to the router.

On checking the Broadband Usage Monitor over the weekend and talking to the BT Helpdesk on Monday 13th January I established that I had allegedly used around 5GB on each of Thursday and Friday and that the monitor was now indicating I had used a total of 15.86GB; three times my normal monthly usage in under half the month or, at that rate, surcharges of £5 per day. The router was switched off on the Sunday morning and not powered until Tuesday 14th January. Nevertheless, when I enquired BT advised that a further 1.2GB of data had been attributed to my account during Monday 13th.

Mercifully my usage now appears to be being recorded more accurately but as the total stands at just over 20GB I face a bill of over £15 in surcharges.

Despite spending more than 5 hours on the phone to BT Helpdesks plus several hours awaiting them to phone me back I am no further forward. Also most of my genuine broadband usage this month has now involved investigating this issue. I am NOT happy!

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 67 of 113

@sangamo wrote:

I am no further forward. Also most of my genuine broadband usage this month has now involved investigating this issue. I am NOT happy!

Hi sangamo,

Welcome to the (obviously not so exclusive) club.

It appears that BT are aware of problems with metered usage,  earlier this week the forum moderator CraigS, a BT employee (see earlier posts in this thread), mailed me to let me know he had   "just received notification of a fault reported with our usage alerts and monitor for the December/January period". 

So hopefully we will stand some chance of resolving this matter soon.    I have had the same 'non response' issues with the customer service people at BT.  Their attitude seems to be that if they don't respond in any way to fault reports/complaints they can ignore us and close said faults as 'resolved'.  We then have to spend hours on the phone going through the same story... only to get ignored again. 

This reprehensible attitude to their customers is scandalous - perhaps all their staff are concentrating on BTsport and the like.

Please message me on here if you want to discuss this matter further.

Cheers

0 Ratings
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 113

Sangamo

Hopefully you have made some more progress but if not next time you speak to BT ask them if they will refer your complaint for level 2 investigation by the technical team. Thats when things changed for me and when they got back in touch the person I spoke to was very good - he has recontacted me twice since to let me know its still being investigated but has assured me each time that I wont be charged (in my case it would have been over £100 with VAT for 90GB). 

Might be slightly easier in my case - thanks to the help on here it was possible to establish that it wasn't possible to download that much but if they are now ackowledging there is a fault (and most seem to have occurred about the same time) then I hope they sort it out for you.

I will consider very carefully whether or not to continue with BT. My annual line rental is up in a month and as a light user who does not want BT sport I feel my fees are subsidising those who do (I dont think its 'free' at all), so I could get a better deal elsewhere. I am also tempted to get unlimited (for less cost from another supplier) in case of anything like this happening again. I pay by direct debit so dont want any nasty surprises. 

0 Ratings
sangamo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 113

Thank you for the comments but, sorry, I am not reassured!

I was told by BT on Monday 13th January that there was a report of a fault with the BT Usage Monitor but on Wednesday 15th this was categorically denied. I was also given a fault reference number but when I checked, this was associated with my account not the Usage Monitor. I am furious that that fault was closed on 29th without notification or explanation. When I chased on Friday 30th I was told that I should be expecting a call-back within 24/48 hours of the fault report being closed. This will be the third such call that has not happened (I have a phone which displays the last 50 phone numbers which have called – and yes I recognise them all and BT is conspicuous by its absence!)

I have backed off in the last week or so as the underlying problem seems to have at least gone away; the usage monitor has been producing plausible figures over the last ten days or so. Is this BT’s strategy – play for time and just hope the customer concedes defeat? The last time wasting suggestion was that I download a usage monitor from thinkbroadband.com but looking at it all that will do is record future usage from the device it is loaded on. So not retrospective data for the period in question: the first half of January 2014 with particular reference to 9th to 14th inclusive.

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 70 of 113

Ok here is the sitaution with me.  Just joined BT

Screen shots of hub usage showing very little use yet very high online.  This included 13GB used in first few days when we didnt even have full access due to the installation issues.

I disabled everything on my network except the BT vision box and set it to play a whole series back to back.

My usage went up 1GB

My Youview box inclusive usage went up 0.7gb (this was 4-5 hours on a play all)

0 Ratings