cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PCT
Contributor
Message 81 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Ok slight development.  Ofcom agree this needs investigating.  Many people may have been overcharged or been forced (by fear) to move to a more expensive contract.  I have the investigation, if anyone else wishes to speak with Ofcom if they PM me I will give you the reference.

0 Ratings
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit [ New ]

The Usage Monitor is still saying this 06/02/2014

What about YouView usage?

If you are a YouView customer and subscribe to BT Vision, you will not be charged for any YouView usage. However, due to technical reasons, some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt.

We realise that this is confusing and makes the broadband usage monitor inaccurate. However, we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thats interesting but it cant be the whole or only issue thats lead to these problems? - I haven't used youview and in any case as I know now thanks to the help from you it isn't possible to download 90GB in 24 hours on my connection. So it doesn't explain the cause so far as I can tell.

Still waiting to see if I get a bill.

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 83 of 113

Theres a second known issue by BT to do with the Exchange.  Bt should log a ticket with Open Reach to check if you ask them.  I find it hard to believe that this is going on.  Maybe the media will take it up.... Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 113

Update - just checked my email, monthly bill received and no charge for the alleged extra use.

So - I'm pleased that its worked out, still a bit annoyed that it needed a lot of help from people on here (for which I'm grateful) and numerous calls to BT to sort it (when if the initial call handler had known what seems to be a basic principle of how to calculate how much you can actually download they should have known straight away that there was a fault) and  still wondering whether or not to stay with BT/upgrade to unlimited......

But the level 2 team person who finally got the thing sorted was very good - if I do stay with BT it will be largely because of him.

I'm monitoring my usage daily, no nasty surprises so far - about 0.05 - 0.1GB per day (when I use the internet, which isn't every day, so that ties in with my usual average use of about 2.2GB a month. For that reason I'm very reluctant to give BT another £5 a month, especially when I dont use BT vision or BT sport. I'll be having a discussion with them when my annual line rental comes up next month.

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 85 of 113

Did they say sorry? 

0 Ratings
prm1
Contributor
Message 86 of 113

@PCT wrote:

Did they say sorry? 

...  I don't think it's in their corporate vocabulary!

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 87 of 113

I just did a google and seems to be same issue in 2011 Smiley Surprised

Anyone know of this going back further?

Has anyone contacted the media?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 88 of 113

@markgraham wrote:
Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit [ New ]

The Usage Monitor is still saying this 06/02/2014

What about YouView usage?

If you are a YouView customer and subscribe to BT Vision, you will not be charged for any YouView usage. However, due to technical reasons, some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt.

We realise that this is confusing and makes the broadband usage monitor inaccurate. However, we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thats interesting but it cant be the whole or only issue thats lead to these problems? - I haven't used youview and in any case as I know now thanks to the help from you it isn't possible to download 90GB in 24 hours on my connection. So it doesn't explain the cause so far as I can tell.

Still waiting to see if I get a bill.

Mark, 

I apologise for the confusion over YouView.  Youview has nothing to do with your problem. This was only raised because your thread was hijacked with another issue. This is the confusion that gets caused by people raising their own (different) problems in other peoples threads.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 89 of 113

@PCT wrote:

I just did a google and seems to be same issue in 2011 Smiley Surprised

Anyone know of this going back further?

Has anyone contacted the media?

As far as I can recall this issue was not around in 2011 as the Usage Monitor worked then and apart from a new user problem that may have been valid I do not remember anyone producing a convincing case for the usage monitor being wrong.

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 90 of 113

Thanks BT have admitted to me that it was known about this time around in December (I should point out when I say BT its an individual comment that still needs confirming) last year but I have had contact with people from November.

Anyone know when BT put the online article up thats here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44084/~/does-my-youview-viewi

I have added comments here

http://www.bitterwallet.com/is-your-internet-usage-as-high-as-bt-claims-it-is/45210

Waiting to be posted.  They go back to 2011.  I have been told of comments going back to 2010 which I am trying to confirm.  I agree as you say its a different monitor from my findings but seems to be the same issue.

0 Ratings