Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PCT
Contributor
Message 101 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

BT have stated:

"In regards to the problem with the YouView traffic contributing to the broadband usage. BT are aware of this problem and it is something that they are dealing with on a customer to customer basis. If one of the customers report such a problem to BT then they will disable their broadband usage monitor to ensure that they are not charged for over usage, whilst they investigate a resolution. The usage monitor will remain disabled until the problem is fixed."

If you are told otherwise ask to speak to the Exec's Office.

0 Ratings
hm8
Beginner
Message 102 of 113

@PCT wrote:

BT have stated:

"In regards to the problem with the YouView traffic contributing to the broadband usage. BT are aware of this problem and it is something that they are dealing with on a customer to customer basis. If one of the customers report such a problem to BT then they will disable their broadband usage monitor to ensure that they are not charged for over usage, whilst they investigate a resolution. The usage monitor will remain disabled until the problem is fixed."

If you are told otherwise ask to speak to the Exec's Office.

That statement above is VERY useful. Thank you so much for it & for sharing the link. I'm a very new BT customer & received a usage warning email within a few days of my account activation. My suspician was that it was the YouView box & BT Sport app using up my allowance. I tried telling this to BT support, however I kept getting transferred & supplied with conflicting information about what is/isn't included. It's rather disconcerting that this is a known issue & yet their default position is to deny it is happening. How did you measure the BT Vision only aspect of traffic on your Home Hub? I have HH4 & had the same idea to disconnect everything except for YouView & stream away.

0 Ratings
hm8
Beginner
Message 103 of 113

@vofsanity2 wrote:

If you go to the Home Network section of your Home Hub you should be able to get a listing of all the devices that have used your Home Hub.  Take a screen print of this.

Hi vofsanity - Can you access this information & usage readings on a HH4 without your device being connected to it at the time? I have other means of connecting to the internet.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 104 of 113

@hm8 wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

If you go to the Home Network section of your Home Hub you should be able to get a listing of all the devices that have used your Home Hub.  Take a screen print of this.

Hi vofsanity - Can you access this information & usage readings on a HH4 without your device being connected to it at the time? I have other means of connecting to the internet.

I am unsure where you got my quote above from as it needs to be read in context.

I recommend that the HH 4 should be kept on at all times.  Switching off, resets etc should be avoided unless other avenues have been exhausted.

If the HH4 is kept on it remembers what devices have been attached to it and you need to hit the refresh button to remove devices that have been connected but no longer are.

Based on the above I suspect that the answer to your question is that what ever you have done to the HH4 is likely to have removed the information that you are looking for. Also note that the HH4 only records the data usage to and from the internet and not for individual devices unless there is only one active over the period you are taking readings.

0 Ratings
hm8
Beginner
Message 105 of 113

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@hm8 wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

I am unsure where you got my quote above from as it needs to be read in context.

I recommend that the HH 4 should be kept on at all times.  Switching off, resets etc should be avoided unless other avenues have been exhausted.

If the HH4 is kept on it remembers what devices have been attached to it and you need to hit the refresh button to remove devices that have been connected but no longer are.

Based on the above I suspect that the answer to your question is that what ever you have done to the HH4 is likely to have removed the information that you are looking for. Also note that the HH4 only records the data usage to and from the internet and not for individual devices unless there is only one active over the period you are taking readings.

Thanks for the help vofsanity2. I quoted above your first response at the start of this thread. I have kept my HH4 turned on since the day my account was activated. Thanks to your earlier tips I'm leaving it on & taking screenshots of it's internet usage on my laptop. Do you know if I can do that without my laptop being connected to the HH & using my BT internet allowance?

I assume by your answer above that I can't isolate the YouView internet usage on the HH4 like PCT did (perhaps with a different HH version.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 106 of 113

@hm8 wrote:
 Do you know if I can do that without my laptop being connected to the HH & using my BT internet allowance?

I assume by your answer above that I can't isolate the YouView internet usage on the HH4 like PCT did (perhaps with a different HH version.

Providing your laptop is not using the internet via some automatic background task, eg automatic updates, email client, there is nothing to stop you connecting your Laptop to the HH 4 and sit monitoring your YouView usage if that is the only other device connected. This should give you a fairly accurate measure of what your youView usage is.

You can check beforehand what devices the HH 4 thinks are connected using the Home Network tab.

Remember also that the HH4 resets data down/up independently when the value reaches 4.3 GB

0 Ratings
SidAllway
Beginner
Message 107 of 113

Same problem.

Have been a BT customer for years. On broadband option 1. Usually somewhere around 6GB, and occasionally getting up towards 10 - and only ever once over 10 (by a few MB).

17th Feb 2014 We got an email saying we'd used 8GB of our allowance. So I thought, oh well, it'll even out and if it goes over it won't be by much.

Then Today 17th March 2014 we got another email saying that we had used 69 GB. 

Given that we don't do video streanming, Skype, On demand Sky, netflix, online gaming or anything else considered heavy I was gob-smacked! So I got in touch with BT to find out where all that data had gone...

Phoned the number on the email, got offered to buy unlimited. Got fobbed off to a supposedly "technical" helpline who would be able to tell me exactly how the data had been used. That was the billing department who also offered the solution of paying out more money to buy unlimited.  Ultimately was told, there was nothing he or anyone at BT could possibly do!

BT seem to think that it is fine to charge random amounts of money with absolutely no evidence other than their own software which we all have to believe 😞

Sid

0 Ratings
SidAllway
Beginner
Message 108 of 113

BT Broadband over-usage charge with no evidence.

My partner and I have been a BT customer for years. On broadband option 1. Usually somewhere around 6GB, and occasionally getting up towards 10 - and only ever once over 10 (by a few MB).

17th Feb 2014 We got an email saying we'd used 8GB of our allowance. So I thought, oh well, it'll even out and if it goes over it won't be by much.

Given that we don't have BT-Vision, we do video/audio streaming, Skype, On demand Sky, netflix, online backup, online gaming or anything else considered heavy I was gob-smacked! So I got in touch with BT to find out where all that data had gone... 60 gig is 30 HD movies, I think I'd have noticed.

If the data usage is actually correct, then BT, show me. Come up with a list of my top 10 most-data sites for the month; or the MAC address of the equipment that is transferring all that data...

Phoned the number on the email, got offered to buy unlimited. Got fobbed off to a supposedly "technical" helpline who would be able to tell me exactly how the data had been used. That was the billing department who also offered the solution of paying out more money to buy unlimited.  Ultimately was told, there was nothing he or anyone at BT could possibly do! 

Phoned original number and this time got put thru to a tech department, who said they'd get a reakdown of my usage and get back to me - which they did after 20 minutes saying they neede another hour. Since from looking at various other forums it would seem that that is not even possible... perhaps not surprising then that I never received that second call 😞

BT seem to think that it is fine to charge random amounts of money with absolutely no evidence other than their own software which we all have to believe :smileysad:

It seems that I am far from alone in this and there are many other examples of this over usage problem. Such as trhis one on these forums... https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-broadband-usage-scam/td-p/511623/page/5

Sid

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 109 of 113

Re: BT Broadband over-usage charge with no evidence.

@SidAllway wrote:

My partner and I have been a BT customer for years. On broadband option 1. Usually somewhere around 6GB, and occasionally getting up towards 10 - and only ever once over 10 (by a few MB).

Given that we don't have BT-Vision, we do video/audio streaming, Skype, On demand Sky, netflix, online backup, online gaming or anything else considered heavy I was gob-smacked! So I got in touch with BT to find out where all that data had gone... 60 gig is 30 HD movies, I think I'd have noticed.

If the data usage is actually correct, then BT, show me. Come up with a list of my top 10 most-data sites for the month; or the MAC address of the equipment that is transferring all that data...

Phoned original number and this time got put thru to a tech department, who said they'd get a reakdown of my usage and get back to me - which they did after 20 minutes saying they neede another hour. Since from looking at various other forums it would seem that that is not even possible... perhaps not surprising then that I never received that second call 😞

BT seem to think that it is fine to charge random amounts of money with absolutely no evidence other than their own software which we all have to believe :smileysad:

It seems that I am far from alone in this and there are many other examples of this over usage problem. Such as trhis one on these forums... https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-broadband-usage-scam/td-p/511623/page/5

Sid

Sid,

1. It would be better if you started your own thread (Cross refering to this one if need be)

2. In your new thread state what Home HUb you are using eg HH2 A, HH3 B

3. Monitor your usage from the My Bt usage monitor on a daily basis. Take the readings in the evening.

4. Monitor your usage using the Home Hub see message 26 in this thread.

5. Get your IP Profile from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  (make sure you click Further Diagnostics after initial results)

You will probably need additional help so please post back if so.

IF you read the whole of this thread you should get an idea of why the above is necessary.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 110 of 113

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@hm8 wrote:
 Do you know if I can do that without my laptop being connected to the HH & using my BT internet allowance?

Providing your laptop is not using the internet via some automatic background task, eg automatic updates, email client, there is nothing to stop you connecting your Laptop to the HH 4 and sit monitoring your YouView usage if that is the only other device connected. This should give you a fairly accurate measure of what your youView usage is.

You can check beforehand what devices the HH 4 thinks are connected using the Home Network tab.

Remember also that the HH4 resets data down/up independently when the value reaches 4.3 GB

Have you noticed this 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Some-BT-TV-customers-incorrectly-charged-for-Broadband-us...