Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

@markgraham wrote:

Thanks again Vofsanity - I've followed your link and gone through the steps but it now shows no data downloaded or uploaded. I'll try again tomorrow and see if its changed.

I've had another helpful message about data size. Shows my lack of technical savvie but I hadn't realised that the download speed was given in megabits per second, I thought it was in megabytes. If I'd followed through on some of the other calculations on here I might have realised that. But on that basis the download speeds I've had as a result of running the tests vary between 6.96mbps and 7.04mbps I now understand that the maximum I could download in 24 hours would be quite a bit less than the 90gb BT think I've used so I'm going to get back on to them to try and get an early resolution of this.

I mentioned in my earlier post about a message about multiple data use email alerrts being sent out. I've found it again under my bt in the contact us re broadband technical issues. They say they are aware of the problem and trying to sort it out. But if there systems are generating these alerts it must be because the systems think we've used the data?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mark,

I think we have a problem communicating. Unfortunately I have not got the time to explain in detail why I need certain bits of information.  For example the reason why I need the IP Profile information is that this is the maximum speed you can download/ upload  at. Usage includes both. The download speed you are measuring is probably only for one device and will vary depending on whether orther devices are downloading or uploading at the same time along with other factors. Hopefully if you do not have any reconnections your IP profile should stay constant. We need this information NOW.

So please provide the information as requested. IF you hit problems please say what they are. Eg you say "but it (What is it)  now shows no data downloaded or uploaded" This should not happen. So either you are looking at the wrong information or you have a significant problem of some kind. Please explain with either a screen print or a copy and paste. It is important that you know how to get relevant information from the Hub. If you do not understand anything please ask for an explanation.

The multiple emails you mention are UNLIKELY to have a direct bearing on your particular problem.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 113

Thanks Vofsanity, appreciate your efforts with this and sorry if I've misunderstood. I've followed the instructions you supplied and that takes me to this screen:-

Internet Connection Configuration
Connection Information
Connection time: 0 days, 00:28:07
Data Transmitted/Received (GB): 0.0 / 0.0
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: Not configured

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address: 217.43.136.11
Default gateway: 217.41.165.122
Primary DNS: 213.120.234.74
Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.22

I've been checking the monitor daily and since the episode on the 9th downloads seem to have been at the normal level, less than 100Mb a day.

Thanks again

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 113

Mark,

Thanks for the update.

1. The reason for the 0 usage value is that you have only been connected for 28 minutes.

Are you switching off your Hub ? It needs to be on 24/7.

If the Hub is on constantly and the Hub is reconnecting frequently then this needs investigation.

2. There is no need to paste the TCP/IP information but if you do remove your "Broadband network IP address".

3. To repeat the request for the IP Profile:

To get your IP Profile use:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Ignore the page of instructions and just tick the confirm button. (These instructions are to ensure that you get the best download figure possible. We are not looking for the download figure. We want the IP Profile)

When you get your speed results Click "Further diagnostics"

Enter your Phone number.

The screen you end up with gives your IP Profile for both Download and Upload.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 113

Many thanks for your perseverance. I've run it again and I think I've got it right this time. Following the steps above it gives me an IP profile of 7.15Mbps.

The other info in the results, in case you need it is:-

Speed achieved during test:- 7.0Mbps

DSL connection rate:- 8.13Mbps (downloading) 0.45Mbps (uploading)

Max achievable speed:- 7.15Mbps.

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 113

@markgraham wrote:

Many thanks for your perseverance. I've run it again and I think I've got it right this time. Following the steps above it gives me an IP profile of 7.15Mbps.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

So I think you now have the evidence to go back to BT and get them to admit their metering is flawed.  With a max achievable speed of 7.15 Mbps you couldn't possibly 'use' 90GB in a 24 hour period - it could only be 77.22 GB.  Hopefully others reading this (including moderators !) may be able to confirm this and help you conclude this matter quickly.

Let us know how it goes

cheers

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 113

@markgraham wrote:

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

Now we are getting somewhere but we are not out of the woods yet.

The fact that your DSL connection rate is 8.13Mbps compared with your IP Profile of 7.15 suggests your IP Profile should be higher.

Can you confirm that you keep your Hub on 24/7 ? If you switch it off it can cause this type of issue.

For your benefit and others here is some detailed advice on using the Hub for data usage monitoring.

To monitor your usage with your HomeHub you first have to Login to your HomeHub.

There are various ways to get to your HomeHub but the simplest to describe is

1. Start your Internet Browser (say Internet Explorer)

2Type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar and hit enter.

3. If this is the first time you have done this you will be asked to change the default Admin password of the Hub.

(Otherwise goto step 5)

The default Admin password is usually written on the Hub or supplied on a card or sticker supplied by BT.

NOTE this is Not the the wireless pin , or key, or password. 

4. Make sure you record the new password.

5.  Now click on Settings

6. You may be asked to type in your Admin Password.

7. When logged in successfuly click Advanced Settings   (Top Right end of second row)

8.  Click "Coninue to advanced settings"

9  Click Broadband  (Top left 2nd entry in second row)

10.  The Internet  entry on the third row should already be selected but if not click it.

11.   Under connection information  you should see someting like this

Connect1

NOTE here that the data is recorded in GB (Gigabytes) not MB (Megabytes)

12.   IF you want to monitor your usage in detail I suggest you record the following information

date and time of reading, connection time, data transmitted, data received

An easy way to do this is using the keyboard hold down the CTRL key and then p.
You should then be able to save the screen your on as either a PDF file or an XPS file.

Save the file as dataYYMMDDn in a folder called usage. (YYMMDD the date and n the nth reading in that day) 

There are several things you need to bear in mind.

1. BT usage monitor gives measurements at midnight only and occasionally skips a night  so check the date also.

2. The Home Hub measures usage separately as up and down so you need to add the figures.

3. The Home Hub reading is accurate at the time of accessing it but will not update unless you refresh the screen.

4. The Home Hub reading measures from the last reconnection time so you need to check what the uptime of the connection is to ensure that a reconnection has not screwed up your reading.

5. The result of all this is that you need to record the readings on at least a daily basis and compare the difference between the two corresponding readings.

6. If you are experiencing unusual readings from the HomeHub you can monitor it on short periods of time (say hourly or less) and correlate with what is going on on connected devices.

7. A list of connected devices can also be got from the HomeHUb.

8.  Note that some Hubs reset the up and down values when they reach 4.3 GB. This is true of the HH 4 A and probably true for the HH 3 A. The HH 3 B does not have this problem.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 113

the IP Profile is correct for that connection speed
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 113

many thanks again to everyone for the replies - I've been back on to BT and I'm expecting them to get back to me. I'll chase them up if I dont get a reply and post the results on here.

Vofsanity - I have to admit to not having ithe hub on 24/7 - I realise now how it keeps a cumulative total of downloads and uploads and resets to zero if you switch it off. I left it on since yesterday but the total upload/download over 24 hours is still showing zero for each. Is this possibly because it records only in increments of 0.1GB and I haven't yet used that amount? This reinforces my average mothly use figures of about 2.2GB or less than 100MB a day normally. Readings from the BT monitor, which I've also been checking daily since this began suggest this is about right . I've been very wary of keeping it switched on since all this started in case of another error landing me with an even bigger bill - as with the account above of someones use going up by 40GB daily regardless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 29 of 113

Another victim? We've never gone over 40GB. Only about 3 days ago we had used about 18GB. Suddenly warning emails from BT and lo and behold we are at 42GB+

What sort of activity triggers this data please?

BB_usage-Jan2014_B.jpg

edit:

just found http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy

so ignore the question.

Online catch-up TV service (1 hour)                      644 MB
Video streaming: for example, YouTube (1 hour)    429 MB
Online gaming (1 hour)                                         43 MB
Standard definition movie (2 hours)                    1,974 MB
High definition movie (2 hours)                          4,292 MB
Music (1 album, 10 tracks)                                     80 MB
Photo (1 photo)                                                    5 MB

I'll have to ask others in the house if they have been viewing movies, but that is highly unlikely because it is impossible at the current poor speed - short video clips on the BBC site stop and start. Maybe there's some file-sharing going on, but that is unlikely. Or overnight downloading of a movie?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 30 of 113

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

I'll have to ask others in the house if they have been viewing movies, but that is highly unlikely because it is impossible at the current poor speed - short video clips on the BBC site stop and start. Maybe there's some file-sharing going on, but that is unlikely. Or overnight downloading of a movie?

All of which seems highly unlikely... but not impossible - would you really have downloaded 20+ hours  of standard def movies over a 46 hour period?  In theory you could have used c.72.5 GB over the period so BT will probably get away with charging you!  I'm sure it's worth fighting though.

cheers

0 Ratings