cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
1,681 Views
Message 31 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

My alleged 90GB in 24hrs was triggered by not having done anything I dont normally do which usually leads to a couple of GB a full month. 

Still waiting for a reply from BT, I'll chase them up if nothing heard tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
1,679 Views
Message 32 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@markgraham wrote:

many thanks again to everyone for the replies - I've been back on to BT and I'm expecting them to get back to me. I'll chase them up if I dont get a reply and post the results on here.

 

Vofsanity - I have to admit to not having ithe hub on 24/7 - I realise now how it keeps a cumulative total of downloads and uploads and resets to zero if you switch it off. I left it on since yesterday but the total upload/download over 24 hours is still showing zero for each. Is this possibly because it records only in increments of 0.1GB and I haven't yet used that amount?   

YES.

 

This reinforces my average mothly use figures of about 2.2GB or less than 100MB a day normally. Readings from the BT monitor, which I've also been checking daily since this began suggest this is about right . I've been very wary of keeping it switched on since all this started in case of another error landing me with an even bigger bill - as with the account above of someones use going up by 40GB daily regardless.


Mark,

If you have a water meter you have Supplier -> Meter -> House. Both Supplier and House measure water usage with the same Meter.   If you have a leak between Supplier and Meter you are not charged for it.

 

With Broadband BT->Usage Monitor -> Home Hub -> Your devices. 

The Usage Monitor and Home Hub are separate (meters) and should (subject to certain caveats) give the same Usage but

If you switch off your Hub the Usage monitor can still accumulate usage. If this usage is ridiculous you have no convincing way  (IMHO) of showing that it was not you that caused it.

This is an over simplification but hopefully makes the point.

 

If you do not keep your Hub on 24/7 it is difficult to help you.

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
1,676 Views
Message 33 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Another victim? We've never gone over 40GB. Only about 3 days ago we had used about 18GB. Suddenly warning emails from BT and lo and behold we are at 42GB+

 

What sort of activity triggers this data please?

 


FloFoster,

 

I suggest you start a new thread and state what Home Hub/ router/ modem you are using.

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
1,660 Views
Message 34 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@vofsanity2 wrote:

If you switch off your Hub the Usage monitor can still accumulate usage. If this usage is ridiculous you have no convincing way  (IMHO) of showing that it was not you that caused it.

This is an over simplification but hopefully makes the point.

 

If you do not keep your Hub on 24/7 it is difficult to help you.

 


Hi vofsanity2

 

But hasn't Mark got proof that the use was impossible because, like me (see my first post in this thread), he couldn't possibly have used the amount that they say he has in a 24 hour period.

 

I liken BT to a petrol station that tell you their pumps are correctly callibrated.  Then one day, even though your tank can only take 40 litres - they tell you you've put 65 litres in it.  You would quite rightly refuse to pay and bring in the authorities!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
1,640 Views
Message 35 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@vofsanity2 wrote:

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Another victim? We've never gone over 40GB. Only about 3 days ago we had used about 18GB. Suddenly warning emails from BT and lo and behold we are at 42GB+

 

What sort of activity triggers this data please?

 


FloFoster,

 

I suggest you start a new thread and state what Home Hub/ router/ modem you are using.

 

 


Thanks guys. It is a 1.5 HH. No need to start a new thread - son confessed to reinstalling a game called X-com Enemy Agent or something, for which he had to download twice.

 

But.... this is the first time we've exceeded the limit so surely won't be billed:

Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill...

 

And we hope to be on Infinity2 in two weeks time .... or so BT tell us - they've already changed the engineer's arranged visit to a date that was inconvenient.... trying not to feel nervous.....

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
1,633 Views
Message 36 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Another victim? We've never gone over 40GB. Only about 3 days ago we had used about 18GB. Suddenly warning emails from BT and lo and behold we are at 42GB+

 

What sort of activity triggers this data please?

 


FloFoster,

 

I suggest you start a new thread and state what Home Hub/ router/ modem you are using.

 

 


Thanks guys. It is a 1.5 HH. No need to start a new thread - son confessed to reinstalling a game called X-com Enemy Agent or something, for which he had to download twice.

 

But.... this is the first time we've exceeded the limit so surely won't be billed:

Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill...

 

And we hope to be on Infinity2 in two weeks time .... or so BT tell us - they've already changed the engineer's arranged visit to a date that was inconvenient.... trying not to feel nervous.....

 


You might get billed. There is confusion about the above link and it is now thought to have been removed from BT T&Cs.

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
1,624 Views
Message 37 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

I've been back on to them, the person I spoke to seemed to accept that I couldn't have downloaded 90gb in 24 hrs but wont or cant cancel any charges right now. He's now referred the complaint to a 'level 2' and said that the service monitoring team will monitor my line and recontact me early next week, which is before my next bill so I'll see what they have to say then.

 

I've been checking the hub useage monitor which I've kept switched on as advised - its now gone up to show 0.1GB downloaded over the last few days . Although I've used the internet a bit more frequently over the last few weeks its still been occasional and short and there will frequently be times when I go for a few weeks without using it from here so I've always been reluctant to leave it switched on permanently.  If its possible for it to be hacked (although I realise thats unlikely) then I'll remain reluctant to leave it on for long periods when I'm not using it - but I understand now how it provides a check against BTs own figures.

 

Thats another very annoying factor about all this. I realise I'm not aware of a lot of the technical issues surrounding this and I thanke veryone who has posted on here to help. But when I first contacted BT about the excess figures it would have been very helpful if they had thought about it and said/suggested/done some of the suggestions on here right away. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,623 Views
Message 38 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Glad I've found this forum since I've started to encounter the same problems and feel I'm getting the run around from BT. I'm about to write snaiil mail to both the CEO and Chairman to see if it brings any results.

 

Been with BT Infinity for 2 years. I don't stream videos or games, (I'm 67 for god's sake) and typical usage is 0.3 Gb - 0.6 Gb a day. 

 

Out if interest I started monitoring my usage with the BT usage monitor on 2nd January. I thought it was high at 6.36 Gb put assumed since the children were here (now returned abroad from the 3rd Jan) they'd perhaps downloaded something. The daily usage stats since then have been 0.24, 0.11, 0.15, 0.18, 0.29, 0.22, 0.28, 0.32, 0.7, 0.69, 0.16, 1.28, 0.59, 0.42. Then I checked on the 17th January to find it showing a daily usage of 14.89. That's when I contacted BT with little help forthcoming.

 

This morning I've just checked the monitor for the 18th, and although it still says 17th January it's gone up again by a further 7.72 Gb. Also checked the connected devices periodically during the day to see if there are any unknown - which there aren't

 

There does seem something wrong with BT's stats.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
1,620 Views
Message 39 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Hi richardgb,

 

Welcome to the forums 🙂

 

I'll be happy to have  a closer look at your usage and find out whats going on.

 

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
1,603 Views
Message 40 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Craig,

 

Thanks for your kind offer of help by email. Could you clarify how I can generate an email to you please? I've clicked on your profile but the only 'Contact Us' is the general BT contact link.

 

Regards

0 Ratings