cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: Can I use a TP-Link TD-W8970

Hi sorry for ressing an old thread, but I have had the same router for over a year now and had no issues until now. 

Recently I took out a new contract with BT and I got sent a new Home Hub. My internet was disconnected and I called BT to be told "it will activate by the evening, just wait", I waited more than 24 hours and still nothing, so I called BT again and they told me that my internet has been activatedand everything should be okay, done line tests etc and all is good.

Still though I am getting issues, My HH5 they sent me works okay but I detest BTs own equipment as it always seems to keep dropping connection so I tried to get my old TP Link TD-W8970 working again, but everytime I plug it in and do quick setup it says "Success" under all 5 stages of the setup but it is ALWAYS showing as being "DSL Disconnected", I have tried multiple logins:

UN: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
PW: bt

UN: (forename)(surname)@btbroadband.com

UN: (forename).(surname)@btbroadband.com

UN: (forename)(surname)@btinternet.com

Even tried with the password being set to Broadband1. Still the same thing. 

This is what it shows no matter what I insert as my Username and Password:

Quick Setup view.jpg

This is what the status is showing as after every attempt:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have even restored the router back to factory settings and reboot it multiple times, held in the reset button witha  pin t start a fresh, checked the user guide and checked on multiple forums to get information, so far it has nothing. The ADSL keeps blinking so it is trying to negotiate with the exchange but nothing is coming back. I even got someone on the phone saying that "there is no connection between the router and the exchange".

If anyone has any ideas or any help, I have been trying the whole day on and off the phone to BT to get the issue sorted but nothing yet. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

if on vdsl2 then it should be pppoE not pppoA

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

The 8970 is an ADSL modem, it will not work with Infinity which is VDSL. The TD -W9980 is a VDSL modem/router.

Edit: I have assumed your are on Infinity and not ADSL, is that correct?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I've never signed up to infinity so don't think I have that. I just got my contract renewed and they said they would send me some updated kit. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

If you are still on ADSL, user name is bthomehub@btbroadband.com, you don't need a password but BT will do if the router needs it. Did you use the autoconfigure set up and if so did you get 'the auto detection has succeeded message?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I moved this ti the corrct board to avoid any further confusion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Is 'Operation mode' set to 'DSL Modem Router'?

Can you post a clearer screenshot, I can't see the top picture clearly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Why have you got it in Bridge mode? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I wondered that at first, but I think the WAN port has had 2 configurations applied and you just select 'connect'on the appropriate type. Might be worth the OP deleting the bridge config though.

0 Ratings