cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turkei
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Re: Can i get my SnR reset back to 6db please?

You mention that your bb was resetting frequently. I have noticed this as well - usually at one of 7am / 8am / 9am each time. I don't really have a problem with this as the resets are at a "convenient" time for me in that I don't usually need the connection until later in the day but it would be good to know why this is happening in case it is actually a fault of some sort! Other than the "daily reset" the line was pretty good and disconnects at other times were rare.

I think the problem with broadband is that there are just too many factors that can affect your speed and stability and it's all too easy for helplines / engineers etc to nominally "blame" the fault on some part of the overall picture that is not their responsibility!

For example, my home hub died and I replaced it with a 3rd party router, I have internal wiring, I live about 2K from the exchange, I have recently "upgraded" to Windows 8.1 on a new computer, its been stormy, exchange is being upgraded to FTTC (I think)....

What do you think my chances of getting help from the BT call centre would be?  Smiley Wink

Incidentally, do BT operate a traffic shaping policy? I have been having real problems playing EVE Online over the last couple of weeks (after having no problems for over a year). I load it up, play for 10mins, it freezes (due to packet loss apparently), it crashes, then the router resets. Its almost as if something is saying: "ah - a packet for EVE? That's going nowhere, and reset his router for good measure  Robot tongue"

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

yes P2P protocols are capped at peak times unless you have recontracted to a totally unlimited package since February 2013
0 Ratings
Turkei
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hmm, ok then:

1. EVE is not  - as far as I am aware - P2P.

2. It has been working fine for a year.

3. I have a "totally unlimited" package (recontracted in Sep 13)

...so that would appear to exclude me from the "traffic shaping" policy. I suppose I just have to wait and see whether it improves. There is of course always the possibility that it isn't anything to do with BT - maybe good old Microsoft have sent me some of their famous "upgrades"?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

all you can do for now is to keep checking
0 Ratings