cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: Cancellation Charges - No longer in Contract but they want to penalise the account holder

I'm out of contract have a MAC coded and they still want me to pay £30 fee!  It's my understanding that once I'm out of contract there should be no fee to pay.  This just reinforces my belief that I am making the right decision to leave BT.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cancellation Charges - No longer in Contract but they want to penalise the account holder

If you're out of contract and migrating away via a MAC code then there should be no charge. If you're just cancelling and not moving to another provider then yes there is a charge. But since you've got the MAC code, challenge the call centre staff's decision.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

I would add that it's not enough to have a MAC code, you actually have to use it.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

I would add that it's not enough to have a MAC code, you actually have to use it.

Can I ask a really stupid question...

Why?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

@masona2 wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

Why?

In case my last reply wasn't clear, what I meant was that to avoid the £30 fee when ending BT Broadband, you have to give a MAC code to the new supplier.  I didn't mean that once you've been given a MAC code, you have no choice but to use it.

The MAC code process is intended to simplify switching between suppliers.  Without a MAC code, BT Wholesale treats it as a disconnect from one supplier, followed by a new connection to the other.  With a MAC code, it's just a case of switching the customer from one to the other without all the disconnection/re-connection bit.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

@masona2 wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

Why?

In case my last reply wasn't clear, what I meant was that to avoid the £30 fee when ending BT Broadband, you have to give a MAC code to the new supplier.  I didn't mean that once you've been given a MAC code, you have no choice but to use it.

The MAC code process is intended to simplify switching between suppliers.  Without a MAC code, BT Wholesale treats it as a disconnect from one supplier, followed by a new connection to the other.  With a MAC code, it's just a case of switching the customer from one to the other without all the disconnection/re-connection bit.

Thanks for the reply Ectophile, but thats not what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What piqued my interest was this post -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you're out of contract and migrating away via a MAC code then there should be no charge. If you're just cancelling and not moving to another provider then yes there is a charge."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? What has it got to do with BT what you do after your contract expires? To go with another, or not? Whats that got to do with BT? I just don't understand. And a 30 quid charge if you don't? For what?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

masona2 wrote: 

Why? What has it got to do with BT what you do after your contract expires? To go with another, or not? Whats that got to do with BT? I just don't understand. And a 30 quid charge if you don't? For what?

A reason is given here. All ISPs do it; I guess the costs referred to don't arise or are shared when it's a transfer rather than a cancellation.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

The short answer would be that Ofcom allowed them to introduce a fee, and then increase it five-fold not long afterwards.

The alternative answer is that BT retail are just passing on a fee charged by Openreach.  Just as openreach charge £130 to connect a new line, they also charge £30 for disconnecting a broadband line.  Using the MAC code route means that the line is never disconnected, so the fee isn't charged.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Mmmm, that`s good to know for future reference.

But, hypothetically speaking, what if the person who has the BT-BROADBAND contract - and is not the home owner - passes away and the home owner decides to sell his/her property. Who forks out the £30?

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

@Ocean wrote:

Mmmm, that`s good to know for future reference.

But, hypothetically speaking, what if the person who has the BT-BROADBAND contract - and is not the home owner - passes away and the home owner decides to sell his/her property. Who forks out the £30?

No one. Debts cannot be passed on from the deceased. Home owner or not. Why do you ask? Feeling ill lately? Smiley Surprised

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings