cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsp100
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: Cannot browse the internet

Help...Have called BT several times and they have been useless! Eventhough I have a wireless connection  and my mac and other devices are all working fine, my laptop using windows is not allowing me to open any web pages apart from the BT one...I am a bit of a technophobe, so if anyone has any advice for me you'll have to make it sound simple!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

What message do you see?

0 Ratings
lsp100
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith

Thank you for replying to me. The Google home page opens up, when I put a web address in it says This site can't be reached... I have called BT several times and they have been no help at all, I am now just outside the 14 day cancellation period ( on my 15th day to be exact) so they want to charge me my full years subscription to cancel!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I don`t think you can blame BT for a issue with your laptop, especially as other devices work fine. It would still be broken whichever ISP you used.

Have you tried these?

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

Really you need a computer technician to sort out the problem, but you would need them to visit you, so they could see the problem for themselves.

The 14 days runs from the day you placed your order, not from when the service is activated.

0 Ratings
robh66
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

To me that sounds like it's Microsoft Edge that is struggling, if it is log it via the Feedback app, that's if you're using Windows 10 and then see if you can open other web pages within Internet Explorer and if you can download a backup browser either Firefox or Google Chrome.

But for Firefox you'll have to download Adobe Flash and install it, as it wont use the already built it copy. Whereas Chrome will.

0 Ratings