Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GW1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: Change of primary email address

Hello David

This is the first time I've posted on a forum of any sort, so apologies if I'm doing it wrong.  I have had a similar problem - I was having to change my password at first every week, then every day, then several times a day.  Also, friends had received suspect emails from me.  I therefore created a new email address, which is a sub account, and wanted to change the primary email address to that one.  We have another sub account which is used every day so don't want to lose it.  After long and frustrating conversations with India, I was told that it was impossible, for reasons to do with migrating accounts which I didn't understand.   I use Outlook on Windows 10, and when I was being asked to change my password was accessing the account via www.bt.com/mail.  The lady in India told me to go via mail.yahoo.com.  I would be very grateful for any help you can offer, as I want to get rid of the original account altogether

Many thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Are you on BTMail or BTYahoo? If you are not sure check here.

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChe​cker

If you are on BTMail you can make any of your sub-accounts your "Favourite" or your Primary Email address as long as you have not "gifted" it to anybody. Log onto MyBT and go to MyExtras > Manage BTMail > Select relevant sub account and click "Make Favourite".

You should then change you BTID to that of your new Favourite. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/448​47/~/can-i-change-my-bt-id-username%3F

If you are on BTYahoo you can not change it your self, a moderator would need to do it.

0 Ratings
GW1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks - unfortunately I'm on BT Yahoo.  What's the next step?  

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 5 of 9

Hi Gw1,

I'll be able to help change your primary email address. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
GW1
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Hello again 

Since our telephone conversation about this, I now find that on my online account via mail.yahoo.com, no emails are showing since 19 January on my new account gs......, yet I've received them on my computer.  Just don't understand what on earth is going on, and why it should be so difficult. Sorry, but it is very frustrating!

Thanks 

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 9

@GW1 it sounds like Outlook has been set up to delete the email from the server when it's read. What version of outlook do you have?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
GW1
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Apologies - when I go into the web account via my old primary email, which  I want to get rid of, the new (sub) account gs.... shows there but  is not updating.  However when I log out of the old email and log back in to gs....., it's working OK. 

Sorry to mess you about 

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 9

Oh I see, I've spoken with @PaddyB and he's due to get in touch with you again today with an update.

0 Ratings