cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: Constant dropouts and slow connection since last week (04/05/17)

Hi, i am in Sheffield and it sounds like i have the same problem since Thursday. Got my new hub today, but no change. They no want to send an engineer to sniff out a signal that is interfering with wireless... any help please.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

@Cannonballian

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Wireless issues are not the responsibility of an ISP, all you can do is to try a different wireless channel, there are 13 channels to chose from on the  2.4GHz band. Channel 13 is usually reasonable clear.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thank you. The infinity hub looses connection or reboots itself every few minutes. This started on Thursday last week (9th may), nothing has changed in the house, nothing moved or used that wasn't before. I have tried splitting and changing the channels.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If there is no noise on the phone line, then try a factory reset of the home hub.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi, I don't have a phone attached to the landline. I have tried the reset button on the back of the hub without any change.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Cannonballian wrote:
Hi, I don't have a phone attached to the landline.

That is probably the problem.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people like yourself that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better. It will get fixed quicker, as there are plenty of Field Technicians who can fix phone faults, but not many broadband ones.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

An interesting thread here http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29287

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thank you. I will buy a phone today and see if that helps. I will post a reply tonight. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Hi. Tried adding a phone but still infinity still keeps dropping and rebooting . Quiet line seemed okay.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Bt have now done another test on my phone line and found a problem between tge exchange and my house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@Cannonballian wrote:
Bt have now done another test on my phone line and found a problem between tge exchange and my house.

As you are on BT Infinity, the issue would have to be between the cabinet and your house, as your broadband comes from the cabinet.

What happens to the lights on the home hub when you get the dropouts?

0 Ratings