cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindsay2005
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Re: Cooling off period for new contracts

I recently took out BT internet and phone, and was lead to believe i would recieve a contact through the post to read, which i never did... and i also was lead to believe you had 28 days cooling off period to cancel your BT if not completely satisfied. I am getting charged double what other companies will offer me and i have been told by BT that to cancel iwill have to pay £180-£230 where am i going to find that much money i am a student.

14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

You can normally cancel before the activation date. If there is an issue with the service, that cannot be resolved, then you can normally cancel without penalty. Which aspect of the service are you not satisfied with?

As for price, that is something you should have investigated before signing up.

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

I hope you can find this... I think someone shifted it from the Vision forum whilst I was replying, causing my reply to fail. Grr.

Anyway, your best bet is to contact BT directly. The online chat might prove useful.

And next time, especially as a student, I'd hope that you do your homework first! 😉

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

minusdot,

This new post was not related to vision, which is why I moved it to a new thread in the billing section. This often happens when people hijack an existing thread Smiley Wink

The issue about cancellellation relates to unsatisfactory service, the question really is, which part is unsatisfactory, and has any action been taken to resolve it?

0 Ratings
Lindsay2005
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

I did look into prices before hand and it was working out the cheapest at the time it was put in but recently (last few days) got a call from TalkTalk and they are offering me a better deal, as a student i would prefer the cheaper option. As for the BT not any major problems yet except the customer service is shocking! I have already contacted Bt and was told i cannot cancel... although what is the policy on not giving you a contract you can actually read and keep a copy of to refer to?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

That is always the thing with prices. How many times have you seen something in a sale, just after you paid full priceSmiley Wink

A contract is a legally binding agreement. BT provide the details online here.

BT Terms and conditions

Not all offers by other ISPs are what they seem, once you look into the detail.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

My understanding is

If you have commissioned a service under a distance selling contract and the work begins before the end of the 7 days cancellation period, then you must give up your right to cancel, but this must be clearly communicated and with your express agreement.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

That is always the thing with prices. How many times have you seen something in a sale, just after you paid full priceSmiley Wink

A contract is a legally binding agreement. BT provide the details online here.

BT Terms and conditions

Not all offers by other ISPs are what they seem, once you look into the detail.

I know BT provide online., but I'm sure they must also supply them to the customer in either electronic or paper form (DSR comes into play). The online T&C's can change at any time after the customer took out the original contract and they must be able to check both the new and the old to see what changes have been made since their initial contract.

0 Ratings
Lindsay2005
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

well thats why i am asking as i never recieved anything online when i took out my package and i still after 3 weeks have not recieved any paper form of contract. I am able to view the terms and conditons online if i search for them but i was nor directed to them by anyone when taking out the package. Not a problem though in the process of getting it sorted.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

You don't get paper contracts generally, its e-mailed out.  You can cancel up until the day before it becomes active, then its too late. Any e-mail with pricing details would just have had the prices you agreed to over the phone anyway, and that calls recorded.

Distance Selling Regulations only apply to physical products (like a phone, vision box, or a new hub).  Your not going to get out the contract just because you've found it elsewhere cheaper. 

BT have already set up the service at the price you agreed to and if its working then theres no way to break the contract now without penalty. 

0 Ratings