0 Days, 17:15:xx
BT "technical support" told me to restart the router last night which was clearly daft advice.
When I have had line problem before I certainly had reduced speed at first which improved over time, but this is ridiculous.
restarting the hub is the worse thing to do with a low speed problem you need a stable connection
you need to maintaina stable connection for the next 3/5 days and your speed should start rising automaticaly
With respect, I was hoping for something a bit more concrete than simply leave it for a couple of days!
This problem was entirely caused by BT but they are not interested in providing a useful solution. I was even told last night that it didn't matter since I could simply use a neighbour's wifi. I live in the country.....
Why can't it be done manually? This is a classic example of "computer says no".
it can be done manually but mods need to see a stable connection before making the adjustment otherwise if conenction not stable manual reset would be pointless as you will be back to square one in no time
For reasons that are not entirely clear to me (although I did speak to the phone engineer) this is now working properly.
Thank you for trying to help and apologies if I seemed grumpy!
if you get 3+ days connection time and profile still not right then post back but I'm sure the automatic system will correct it
I can only advise what I found on my system that seemed to work most of the time after installation, but I replaced a network interface card on a PC and called an engineer before getting the time to look into it myself. Long story short, my broadband and HH3 went from dropping out the wifi every few minutes, to being fine (literally depending on the wind etc) and so on. I traced the problem to source: the BT Engineer originally installed my Infinity 2 unlimited upgrade, by putting the ADSL modem (the first box the broadband goes to after the copper cable hits the master BT socket) on to the end of a 15-metre run of totally unshielded bog standard phone cable. Then, there was the standard cable going into the Home Hub 3 box that emits wireless signal etc. Erratic is too good a word for the deteriorating signal. All the devices and PC and laptops of various members of our household, just failed to connect, dropped out, had incredibly slow download speeds etc etc. Any bad symptom, it happened. SOLVED it myself by buying components on Ebay to make up a Cat 6e (or is it Cat 7?!) cable, and relocated the ADSL modem right on top of the BT master socket, thence the super-shielded cable covered the 15 metre run to the HH3 instead of using the bog standard unshielded phone cable run of the same length. Almost every problem fell away, and the system quickly got up to 72 Mbit/s in a day or two. Bad installation. The alarm-grade phone wire just never should have been relied on to take the signal from the incoming cable and master socket, to the ADSL & HH3 at the back of the house. My re-working and reliance on a new superbly-shielded cable and end connectors, cured the lot. So, you want to check if at any point, ordinary or unshielded cable is being relied on to get the broadband either to the ADSL modem or the Home Hub - if so, ask BT if that is intentional or not - it won't be intentional because this stuff can't handle more than a few Mbit/s reliably. Hope this helps - my troubles all seemed to be hard to pin down, and BT had me checking with a special speed test routine and if I had not cancelled the engineer call, I might have ended up being one of those people they bill retrospectively with £130 because it is later deemed to be MY end of the system at fault (no matter what the Engineer may say at the time apparently). Remember, technically, this would be a correct statement - it WAS my cruddy bog-standard phone cable feeding the ADSL modem unreliably that caused all the problems, it is just it should never have been incorporated in the first place.