cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: DNS Issues

I've have not been able to view web pages since Monday evening.  I called the Tech Support line and was informed by a message that there was a major problem in my area though I was informed this had been cleared when I called the following morning. My problem however is still ongoing.

The issue seems to be DNS.  If I change my PC DNS to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or VPN into my work network there are no issues and speed seems fine.  I cannot however change DNS Settings on the HH3 which is used for other devices.  When using the HH3 DNS some pages will partially load (cached maybe) but the majority are unreachable.

Calling tech support last night was not much help and they have set up an engineer visit, though this is not until Thursday and I'm not sure it will help as I suspect the problem is within the BT Network.  Does calling tech support initiate any investigation at the network side?

I am on Infinity 2 upgraded a few weeks ago.  I am in the 02085 area (E15).

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

I have moved this to the Infinity board. I believe their have been some DNS issues recently, you may like to look at some of the threads on this board.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

This problem resolved itself.  I called and cancelled my appointment, but the engineer still showed up and I wasn't there...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 5

you better replace the hh3 with one you can change the dns settings on
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Your PC DNS settings should overide any changes to DNS in the HH [or any router].So if the DNS set in your PC settings works with all sites then there is no need to change router DNS settings.

I have 3 servers and my main PC all using different DNS settings and they all connect to the internet with no problems.

To find out whuch are the fastest most reliable public DNS servers nearest to you,run a DNS optimizer program and the use the fastest and most reliable ones.

Some DNS servers even the most used ones like OpenDNS,use a referal system that kicks in to allow referal to there own or outside advertising sites,but no big deal as it only kicks in if you wrongly type a URL.

But it still causes slowdowns,so  your choice of DNS is important to a fast stable connection.

0 Ratings