cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
euclid1956
Message 1 of 5

Re: Disappointing Speeds

Oh to have such speeds available!!!

I have Infinity2 connection here on the Isle of Wight and although it is advertised as "Up to 76 Mb" for download and "Up to 19 Mb" for download I get an average of no more than 7 Mb download and 5 Mb upload!!!!!!!

The highest speeds that I have had were 21 Mb download and 9.5 Mb upload but on occassion the download speed goes down as low as 75 Kb!!!!! BT tells me that there is nothing wrong with the system and that to get the best results I should use a hard connection via an ethernet cable! They say that even this will only result in about 35 Mb download and about 12 Mb upload speeds.

So much for the TV adverts! Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to return to the old Broadband contracts - I was getting a far better connection through these than I get from Infinity.

Is BT in breach of Advertising Standards Laws?

If BT fails to deliver anything approaching the advertised speeds is it possible cancel the contract due to "failure to perform" and find an alternate supplier?

Does Oftel have any way of compelling BT to either adhere to its advertised services, or to cancel the contract and refund any monies paid?

The answers to these questions are eagerly awaited.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Hi euclid1956,

To get an answer to all your questions you should post your own thread rather than jumping onto an other persons thread. It only leads to confusion as to who the replies are for.

Once you have done that I'm sure you will get the answers you are seeking.

EDIT: Thanks who ever moved post.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Hi euclid1956,

BT Infinity 2 is a FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) broadband service that is advertised as Up To 76mbps depending on distance and line quality. This is where your broadband connection runs from the exchange to your street FTTC cabinet via a fibre cable, then from the cabinets to your property over the existing copper line infrastructure as VDSL/2 signals.

This means the more copper cable (in distance) between your property to your FTTC Dslam cabinet the slower your FTTC fibre broadband will be.

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps from an FTTC service.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality.

Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@euclid1956 wrote:

Oh to have such speeds available!!!

I have Infinity2 connection here on the Isle of Wight and although it is advertised as "Up to 76 Mb" for download and "Up to 19 Mb" for download I get an average of no more than 7 Mb download and 5 Mb upload!!!!!!!

What was your estimated speed when you signed up? Just because it says "Speeds Up To" it does not mean that your line will support that so you may never be able to get that sort of speed. You may have been better on the cheaper Infinity 1 package if you can not obtain speeds above 38Mbps

The highest speeds that I have had were 21 Mb download and 9.5 Mb upload but on occasion the download speed goes down as low as 75 Kb!!!!! BT tells me that there is nothing wrong with the system and that to get the best results I should use a hard connection via an Ethernet cable! They say that even this will only result in about 35 Mb download and about 12 Mb upload speeds.

Ethernet will usually give you  faster speeds than wireless. There are many reasons why wireless can be slower such as wireless interference, distance from router etc.

So much for the TV adverts! Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to return to the old Broadband contracts - I was getting a far better connection through these than I get from Infinity.

You could always contact BT and ask but I suspect there will be cancellation fees.

Is BT in breach of Advertising Standards Laws?

Not if they said "up to". If they gave you a guaranteed speed they may be.

If BT fails to deliver anything approaching the advertised speeds is it possible cancel the contract due to "failure to perform" and find an alternate supplier?

Doubt it because of what I have already said , but you could always try.

Does Oftel have any way of compelling BT to either adhere to its advertised services, or to cancel the contract and refund any monies paid?

You would need to contact Oftel forthe answer to that.

The answers to these questions are eagerly awaited.

If you post exactly what problems you are having somebody on the forum may be able to help.To help assist can you run a wired speed test using this tester then run the diagnostic and post back all the results including your IP profile.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
spych102
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Er... BT are misleading consumers all over the place, Ofcom do nothing but useless consultations and the government are in the pocket of BT as far as broadband goes and they keep shovelling subsidy and rural contracts their way. On top of this BT is so disfunctional an organisation that even if you were able to argue your case successfully you would never get through to a department that would be able to help so you would need to take then to court to get your money back...
0 Ratings