Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

Re: Disgusting Speed

Go to solution

I am in a similar position - indeed Lambie put me onto this forum. I have an ADSL connection and live in the middle of nowhere. My broadband was 0.7Mb and I accept that I live a long way away from the exchange. When the "green box" at the edge of our village was switched on, I jumped at the opportunity to move into the modern world and phoned to order BT infinity. I was told that I couldn't have it because of the wiring and could only have the BT "faster" broadband - an estimated 14 - 20Mb. OK, so not the fastest in the world, but certainly a world away from what we currently have.

Within a day of making the order my connection speed dropped to 0.1Mb. Obviously this sort of speed makes working on the internet a little difficult!! But I figured that it was something BT were doing during "the upgrade". 

Since upgrading we have had 4 days without broadband - very unstable - it might work for 20mins or so, but that is it. A speed test showed us running at 1.8Mb. Engineer was booked for yesterday. No one came to the house, but the connection is now up and running the speed test again we have 1.35Mb. This is rather a long way off the 14Mb we were suggested as a minimum.

I accept these are only estimates, but the reality is too far off the estimate which suggests to me there is a fault. 

Like Lambie I also know my **bleep** from my elbow in networking (have worked with him many times).

So, I post here requesting help. I recognise I may have to wait three days for my profile to be unbanded. The logs in my HH5 don't appear to show the line speed or noise ratio, so help there in getting those figures would be useful. 

For reference the HH5 is plugged into the master socket. I only have 1 phone plugged into the filter with it and that is a cordless. I will need to get a corded phone from somewhere to see how quiet the line is because as highlighted in this forum, I am getting a quiet hum when I try the quiet line test.

I believe it is something outside of the house. I have changed nothing except ordered a faster connection. By the standard laws of network fault finding, when something doesn't work - look at the bit that was just changed / plugged in and see if that is what is causing your fault.

I would prefer to bypass the hoop jumping and be able to give an engineer a call, so help there would be much appreciated.

thanks

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

a dull hum would be normal for a cordless phone but better just checking with a corded phone

can you enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes can you run diagnostic test and post results please 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

As requested:

Details:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)19.813.51.20.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)16.67.910.6--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
BETUp to 2----Available

(Sadly the forum has removed much of the HTML from the above table, but hopefully it is still readable)

BT Speedtest:

down: 1.41Mb

Up: 0.74Mb

Latency: 47.63ms

Diagnostic test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.41 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 0.95 Mbps-1.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.36 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.74Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

Love it how my upsteam profile is higher than my downstream!!

Spoke to BT this morning and they are sending another engineer out tomorrow. Apparently the one yesterday "couldn't complete the work in time". I have to admit, my BS detector is questioning this to actually mean "didn't come at all". Hopefully the engineer tomorrow will bring a coded phone, otherwise I am going to need to borrow one from somewhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

OK - so an updated. I found a corded phone in the back of a box in the garage (ever a hoarder of stuff that might be useful one day). 

Plugged it into the master socket and did a quiet line test with a variety of results. Listed below:

1: Plugged into the Filter which in turn was plugged into the NTE5 front panel:

Hum on the line and a pulsing sound, probably about 5 Hz pulse and about 50 or 60hz hum

2: Plugged into NTE5 front panel directly with no Filter:

Hum on the line, no pulsing

3: Plugged into Filter which in turn was plugged into the "test socket" behind the front panel:

Hum on the line, but no pulsing

4: Plugged into the "test socket" with no filter:

Hum on the line, but no pulsing.

I have left the setup currently in the state of option 3 above because it seems the best, no pulsing, but at least I have internet. Running another diagnostic test in this state, I get:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.91 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 0.95 Mbps-1.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.36 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.7Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

This says to me than part of the problem could have been the front panel on our master socket, which I have essentially bypassed. However there is still hum on the line which I expect is causing additional issues. When I spoke to BT today, they said that we should expect 10 -11Mbs. Rather different from the 14-20Mbs which the original sales team said. 

Any suggestions on the correct questions / statements to give to the engineer tomorrow, gratefully received.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

from whyat you have posted are you on fiber - broadband with fibre - where speed are less the 15mb?  if so this is wrong board

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

It should be FTTC and then copper from there following the upgrade last week. Obviously I have to make the assumption that is what has happened.

Until last Thursday I was on ADSL and it was during that the speed drop occurred.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

thought that was what you had so you have infinity but because your estimate is <15mb you can't get infinity so you get broadband with fibre

I will move this thread to correct board

if you have hh5 then go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats 1-12

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

I accept it has a short uptime, but that was because I was doing the quiet line test earlier on and unplugged the filter. I then restarted the HH5 to get it to reconnect afterwards

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 02:43:18
6. Data rate:798 / 2000
7. Maximum data rate:1176 / 12786
8. Noise margin:10.6 / 20.7
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 34.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 31.0
11. Data sent/received:13.2 MB / 177.3 MB
12. Broadband username:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

It looks like DLM is actively managing your line due to disconnections. It has capped your speed to increase the noise margin to try and stop the disconnections.

You probably have a line fault or you are suffering from a poor install.

Is your phone line noisy? Do the quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2 and listen for noises. It should be silent.

Oh, I see you have a noisy line, this indicates a line fault. Once again, the QLT should be silent.

The noise margin, especially downstream, should be 6 not 20.7.

Does your line come in underground or overhead from a pole?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Underground near us, but I live in an old village. I couldn't say what route the cable takes all the way back to the cab.

Certainly there are parts of the village that are above ground and there is a lot of above ground cabling on the highstreet going towards the cab. I make the assumption that our cable stays below ground the whole way and doesn't pop up for a while, but if I am honest I couldn't say for sure.

0 Ratings