Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 29

Re: Disgusting Speed

Go to solution
Why I was asking was in case there was a dropwire to replace 😞

Does the wire come in from outside directly to the master socket where the Homehub is plugged in?

There should be no other boxes or extensions attached before the master.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
PSc
Beginner
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

Yes that is correct. Directly from outside to the master socket. Nothing inbetween. HH is plugged into that socket (currently via the test socket). Other than a cordless phone, nothing else is on that line.

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

@PSc wrote:

Yes that is correct. Directly from outside to the master socket. Nothing inbetween.

Please don't think that i'm doubting you, but have you visually checked this ? The reason I ask is that there is usually a junction box just after the line enters the property and then a cable from this junction box goes to the master socket. This makes it easier for Openreach to replace a faulty incoming line without having to dismantle half of the owners property. In the past, it has been acceptable to run an extension off this junction box (star wiring) before the invention of broadband. Unfortunately there are still a number of these long forgotten "star wiring" set ups, which can be a killer for the modern broadband......

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
PSc
Beginner
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

Rest assured - I take no offence from someone doubting me when they are trying to help. The arrogance of youth long since left me and I am happy to listen to others who are willing to help out!

There are no boxes on the outside of the property or inside unless they are hidden somewhere in a wall etc (which would arguably be rather pointless). It looks like the line comes to a small manhole type cover under the ground at the end of the driveway. I can't see any other wiring after that until the master socket inside the house. I make the assumption that between this small man hole and the master socket is a direct wire with nothing in between, however I can't actually see - the wiring is in the wall. I recognise this isnt hugely helpful - sorry.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution
I wonder if that manhole is full of water.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

You noise margin is way off the optimum of 6 and you are outside your estimated speeds. It all looks like you will need to contact BT and report a fault to them and request that they send an engineer out to investigate the fault. It is highly unlikely there will be anything you can do to sort this your self.

0 Ratings
PSc
Beginner
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

I wandered the same (having had problems at another property with water getting into a virgin media cable box). I have just lifted the cover to have a look around (probably invalidated every warrantee out there).

The cover is probably about 30cm by 10cm and underneath it is a hole about 50cm deep. There doesn't appear to be any water in it at all. There is a larger cable coming out of the ground and with a cyclindrical box attached to this cable and there are multiple smaller cables coming out of that which go back down into the ground. My gut feeling is that this box is probably full of krone style connectors and the cables that go back into the ground are my neighbours phone lines. Assuming a line is duff, the engineer would simply just use a different pair.

Once the cables go back into the ground I can't see it again. If this was an IP network, I would now be wanting to put a line tester on the cable and see if there any any issues, but I don't have that sort of kit for the BT network.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution
And you say the engineer is coming tomorrow?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
PSc
Beginner
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

GG: I accept what you say and believe you are right, however my main objective of coming here is to go through as many different possibilities as I can so that I don't have to go through the hoop jumping dance with the BT call centre (AGAIN!). A engineer is booked for tomorrow. It is the second time

I do appreciate the help that you guys are giving me - it gives me confidence to be able to say to the engineer: I have done XYZ so don't try to fob me off with "you live in a rural location, that's the best you're gunna get". 

I know I am not going to get the oober speeds which the city dwellers have - that's fine by me, but equally I don't want to be short changed and if I can have 14Mb, then that's what I would like.

I believe I have a good bank of evidence to prove the issue is "their side of the wall"

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution
You accessed a foot way box, that was a stupid thing to do because for a start it can be dangerous as toxic gases can compress in the UG network, this is why Openreach Engineers have to use a GDU before going into one....

Secondly its PRIVATE PROPERTY, it's not yours to go into....

Also given the speed you get your clearly a long way away from the PCP..... Did you honestly think the cable is on a continuous length from the PCP to the foot way box outside your house? It probably runs through 4/5/6/plus cable joints.....

I'd not take much advice from this Ray_Dorset guy if I were you because you could end up getting yourself in trouble......
0 Ratings