cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Granolamonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Re: Exchange upgraded to ADSL2+ months ago but line not migrated

Hi - apologies for jumping on the bandwaggon, but I am having the same problem here! My exchange was upgraded several months ago and we too don't seem to have been upgraded 😞 at the moment, despite being within 100m of the exchange we are only managing 6mbps, down from the 8 we were seeing. Feeling a bit hard done by as I was expecting to see a noticable improvement following the upgrade but alas it seems to be getting worse! 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

As the previous post was marked solved I moved your post to start your own subject and attract more replies

can you post your router stats and also the results from here  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Granolamonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Hi - thanks for setting this going again! Much appreciated.

Here are the stats on the router:

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time1 days, 22:22:07
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.7 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)4.9 dB / 1.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)12.4 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)

0 / 1

And here is the BT Wholesale details:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number x on Exchange GALGATE

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

And as I mentioned, I can literally see the exchange 100m from my house. Just frustrating waiting to go onto ADSL 2+ or waiting for Infinity to become available. The ADSL Max is spectacularly unreliable. All help much appreciated!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

If you exchange has recently been upgraded to 21CN/ADSL2+ then you can either

1 Wait for BT to upgrade customers which can be anything from weeks to months after wholesale have upgraded th exchange. you will receive an email about the upgrade and then it is done in batches where you may be one first or the last batchs to be done.

This upgrade does not require a new contract just a matter of waiting your turn

2 You jump the queue and agree a new contract and as part of that agreement you get upgraded to 21CN/ADSL2+

Granolamonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

It was upgraded several months ago, so I was really just curious as to how long it might take 😞 is there any way to find out?

Ideally I would move on to infinity, but our exchange seems to have been marked as 'coming soon' for an absolute age and I can find no more detail of when 'soon' is - any pointers?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

If "The ADSL Max is spectacularly unreliable" then ADSL2+ may also follow the same way. If you are having problems then these would need to be sorted.

Granolamonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I had guessed it might be.

Its not reliability exactly, its always there, however it fluctuates between 4 - 8 mbps which means that sometimes things like iPlayer work and sometimes they don't which is frustrating. Is ADSL 2+ likely to improve this or is infinity really the only way to go? I don't really know what else could be sorted? I guess its just down to demand in the local area?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Infinity may not be an option even if the exchange is upgraded as you appear to have an exchange only line - you are not connected to a cabinet. OpenReach may install a cabinet for lines such as yours but don't hold your breathSmiley Sad

ADSL 2+ should improve things purely based on the speed uplift but if there is an intermittent problem for whatever reason it could be that your speed may fluctuate from 4 - 17 mbps !

Regarding waiting for the upgrade there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to how the batches are allocated so it is a case of crossing your fingers to be in an early batch rather than a later one, it could take a long time so you may be best weighing the pros and cons of aract. new cont

Granolamonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Oh 😞 I had assumed that my connection must go via the cabinet opposite the exchange (and consequently FTTC would enable Infinity). That is a pain. 

Sounds like I will have to hope that ADSL 2+ improves things, and (fingers crossed), infinity becomes available. It has been marked as coming soon for a while mind so I won't get my hopes up! 

Thanks 😄

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 15

Hi Granolamonster,

As john46 has said, as your exchange has recently been BTw 21cn upgraded then it can take from weeks/months for the lines to be migrated to the new 21cn hardware in the exchange. 

When our exchange was 21cn upgraded we had to wait several months till our line was migrated onto the 21cn network.

Though at 4mbps BBC iPlayer and other TV catch-up services should be able to work. (As they still work with our 0.8mbps to 1.4mbps connection)

Your exchange (GALGATE) has also just recently been upgraded and ready for Fibre broadband (FTTC and FTTP) under your BDUK scheme (Superfast Lancashire) with some areas now able to order fibre broadband. Though it will take time for the rollout of fibre broadband to reach other areas within the GALGATE exchange area.

As your exchange has been fibre upgraded under the Superfast Lancashire BDUK scheme then you will need to email info@superfastlancashire.com with your landline number, Address, Postcode and exchange name to check if your property is within the NGA area and to see when you maybe able to get fibre broadband. It make take over a week or so to get a reply.

For more information regarding your Superfast Lancashire BDUK scheme go to https://www.superfastlancashire.com/questions-and-answers

Hope that helps.

**The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**