to avoid confusion with the previous thread originator I moved your post to start your own thread
in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .
are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem
As requested the following are my Home Hub 3 and BT Wholesale Speedtester results.
I restarted the hub to see if this made any difference
HOME HUB 3
ADSL Line Status Connection Information
Line state: Connectedppp0_0
Connection time: 0 days, 16:58:10
Downstream: 9.274 Mbps
Upstream: 1.074 Mbps
ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Fast Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.7 dB / 5.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 37.8 dB / 21.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.4 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 17729 / 113
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 5058 / 76
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6332 / 63
Software version 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.11 (Type A)3
BT Wholesale Speedtester
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed 8.2 Mbps
Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.38 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed 0.87 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.87Mbps
Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
These are the sort of results I get normally.
My hub is connected directly to a filter at the master socket.
My problem is that some websites are now loading very slowly or not completing loading.
Some sites are OK.
This is happening with both ethernet and wireless connected devices.
The devices are of different types and operating systems.
I do not think it is my link to the exchange and wonder if there is a problem beyond this
check your exchnage and see if any problems shown http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php
Thank for the links
Tried them all
No reported problems for my exchange.
Will wait and see if problem goes away
you are getting a lot of errors and it may be better if you connection was changed to interleaved rather than fast and that may help stabilise your conenction