Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruceA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: Faint Phone land line too quiet to hear voices

Hi Did this ever get resolved. 

My earpiece Audio level varies from 'just about OK' with some callers to 'can't hear some words at all' with others.  This is on a line that is 2.5miles from the exhange, noise free Good Infinity BB etc - it is just too quiet on old fashioned Audio calls. 

The same is true at the test socket using a basic no-display traditional wired BT branded, phone, the same on a new Panasonic cordless phone (slightly better volue at it's max volume setting but still not good).  As an illustration you woldn't hear the dial tone sitting next to me in a quiet hallway if I was using either.

I know there is an exchange 'line gain' setting but have just spent 20 minutes on to india who hear all the above and insist my old wired BT phone (Duet 120)  has an volume control i'm too stubborn to find (trust me it doesnt) and the cordless phone is perhaps defective (as BT didnt sell it).  Directed me onto the BT branded equipment helpdesk . .

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
BruceA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

bump

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

the only way you're going to get this fixed is by reporting the fault on 151 and being very persistent
0 Ratings
BruceA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Indeed . . . I spent ages talking to 151 before posting. 

The operator insisted I just needed to turn up the volume control on my phone.   I chose to call on a simple wired BT branded phone to avoid them blaming my phone).   The wired phone is however as loud (or quiet) as the cordless phones on max volume (only one phone and in the test socket etc) but I thought this way I'd keep the fault nice and simple and also double check it wasn't my other phone that was at fault (151 man was unable to grasp either concept)

He concluded it was a phone handset fault (simultaneously affecting two different phone systems)  and/or that I was too dumb to find a volume control that BT phones have  . .

So I also fear I need to ring 151 twice every day until someone more clued-up finally picks up the phone - 

Hence my posting here to see if they had ever managed to solve this fault for the previous poster before wasting a lot of my time

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

faults on 151 is the only way to get an Openreach engineer involved with the problem
0 Ratings
karanved
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

You can try this, click on "check my line now to test your telephone line, possible issue with the line.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults&ut...

Hope this helps!!...

0 Ratings
Frogparty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

@BruceA wrote:

Indeed . . . I spent ages talking to 151 before posting. 

Hence my posting here to see if they had ever managed to solve this fault for the previous poster before wasting a lot of my time

Sorry for not getting back sooner. In short, after a number of engineer visits sadly no the faint transmission of audio problem has not been fixed.

Calling 151 is futile in this instance. Instead contact a mod here, and in my case after a 6 day delay someone from BT took up my case and contacted me. They increased the line gain, which helped a little, and arranged several engineer visits.

Unfortunately in my case the PQ test shows my line to be within parameters, hence Openreach have no contractual requirement with BT to pursue the matter futher. During one visit I called a friend using the engineers handset so he could hear how faint conversation was regardless of the PQT pass.  He agreed there was a problem but had not met it before.  He checked all the poles on the route and tweeked the contacts but could not find a fault so could not fix it.

It is my deduction that the issue is not a line fault but something to do with the exchange equipment or how the telephony is routed onto the line from the network, but I could not find anyway to get someone to test that. As there was no point having yet another engineer test the line and pass it I closed the fault (with thanks to the staff concerned).

Bruce you may have a line fault, so do get an engineer out to test it.

For my part I discovered BTSmartTalk app. I now use my (simm-less) tablet to make VOIP calls that are billed to my landline tariff. VoIP is as clear as a bell even when I call my remote friends (or call them back if they call me), so the faintness is not the PSTN generally or my line.

Ironically the phone line has been out for 4 days, but fibre BB still working all be it slowly. Perhaps the problem has finally broken completely? Since BB still working the disconnection is somewhere between the cab and the PSTN, at the exchange perhaps, but not the long line between house and cab. Sadly no sign of Openreach yet, getting very frustrated by it.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

the fault could also be between your home and the cabinet
0 Ratings
BruceA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Quick update:

Logged a fault with the web-page.  Initially unable to do a line test but got a reference

Subsequent web notification of a fault close to my Home.  Then a call from Openreach saying the fault is at the exchnage.  Then another (almost deafening) call from BT engineer to say it should be fine now.  Asked what/where was the problem / solution but no information to share apart from should be ok now etc. 

Calls are now a bit louder which is enough that I havn't had anonther inaudible one yet (still not exactly loud generally).

0 Ratings