cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mangozine
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: Faulty line for over a month now but BT says it is fixed and keeps closing the case

I have a similar problem to this in that at least two engineers have said the copper wire itself has degraded and is in need of replacement, but BT/Openreach are saying it's not cost-effective to fix it. They have already spent over £2000 on 7 engineer visits, so far, and I think this is not going to get resolved despite numerous equipment changes/upgrades and engineers. We are just 200m out of range for a superfast fibre connection, apparently, and because it's a tiny village with only a handful of houses, nobody is in any hurry to extend a superfast service this far.

If BT decide they can't provide a reliable broadband service any more (even though it's worked fine for 10+ years and only went wrong 2-3 months ago), where do I go to get recourse/compensation?  It is not my fault that the BT/Openreach equipment has degraded so badly and no longer works properly, and evidently if I switch to another provider they will still have the same problem because it's still BT/Openreach's copper wire -- BT are happy to let me go elsewhere to another provider, but obviously this is just passing the problem (me) onto another provider...?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Faulty line for over a month now but BT says it is fixed and keeps closing the case

I moved your post to start your own subject as previous thread was 2 years old.

does your phone work ok?  openreach's commitment is to provide a phone service and has happened in a few other posts openreach have not replaced the cable to improve broadband as long as phone worked ok  BT Retail your ISP then allowed you to cancel your contract without charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mangozine
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

My phone does work okay. All the equipment has been replaced, but I tried a different non-BT router today, and that seems to have found the correct download speed for now. This usually only lasts 3-4 hrs on my line before an error causes it to disappear/drop again -- I haven't had it on long enough to be able to tell yet, but wanted to reply to your post to at least show that I'm actively interested in seeking a solution for this issue.

BT have said I can cancel my contract without charge, if I want, but surely this is just passing the problem onto another service provider as they will be using the same faulty copperwire?

Another engineer (Openreach, apparently) is coming out later this week to decide whether or not BT can provide a functional, reliable service to my household -- I'm planning to leave this alternative router on in the interrim to see what happens.

I've been told there won't be any more engineers if this one decides BT cannot provide a reliable service, but my worries are (a) I've had a working service for 10+ years, so what's changed other than deteriorated equipment? and (b) if the engineer says BT can actually provide a service, Openreach have already said it's not cost-effective for them to replace the copperwire, so where does that leave me?

We're in a remote village-area, so there are very few alternative ISPs here, anyway...?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

it will be an openreach engineer who will come and make the decision whether openreach will do anymore work and if not then they will inform BT Retail your ISP and you will get released from your contract without penalty

It will make it extremely difficult to use another ISP as they use openreach who have alreday decided they cannot provide a broadband service - but can a phone service which is all that they are required to do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings