Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamclacher
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Re: Home hub 6 not so smart

Go to solution

Anyone had any resolution?

3 hours on call and online chat with no resolution. It ended in complaits laughing at me and saying that it will not be looked into!! Google was mentioned at the end as a way to get around this. No joke, I spoke back the exact words of 'go to google' as his reply making sure that is what he said. He replied yes. This with being laughed at over the issue, is something that came as a suprise to me!

My issue is that the hub sets static ips when it feels like it. Sadly the two I want static, it will not even though I press 'Save'

It seems to set static ip addresses for the machines that are already one when I reset the router

Over the last 3 days, 5 pcs (I'm an IT guy and have to bring my work home) have not been able to get an IP address at all. It would refuse to give any of them ip address. One time it was three pcs at the same time when they were turned on. Resetting the router fixed the problem, but I don't what to have to do that everytime. Especially as it takes alot longer to reset than the home hub 5

The hub gives options to set static ips, but not too sure why it will not work. But for the 10 that were connected at the time. 7 were static inc 1 wifi device. These static options should be DHCP!

screenshot-192.168.1.254 2016-08-31 20-09-17.png

My hub is under a month old and been told that I have to be a busniess line to have static ip addresses - they would not listern to the fact it was an internal ip address not a public one. They say I am not allowed  to set an static ip without a business account.

The only other option given to me was to contact BT Tech Experts for £8 a month - to fix a fault with an item.

Sad way to end what I thought was brilliant products and service. Any tips anyway? I'm hoping a firmware update might fix this!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Go to solution

@adamclacher Please start your own thread. To date this has been around WiFi connectivity and starting to discuss DHCP and static IP on this will simply cause confusion.

Regards

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Why not simply set the IP address on the device itself, outside of the DHCP scope? That worked for all the other home hubs.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@adamclacher

I have just had my first look at the new smart hub at another house, and things have been simplified quite a lot.

I configured two devices which where manually configured on the devices themselves, to 192.168.1.31 and 192.168.1.32.

In both cases, after a short delay, they showed up on the HH6, as connected devices, and I was able to setup port forwarding rules for both devices. As they are not assigned by DHCP, the IP addresses are not going to change.

As a matter of interest to others, I found the wireless coverage quite good in a 1930s  3 bed semi.

VinceMarsters
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
I had a weird one today with a static IP which the hub had said was static and had been for a week since I added it. It is for a camera I am testing at the moment and this afternoon is suddenly fell off my NVR software. Further investigation showed the camera had a different IP address. Checking on the hub it had the new IP address and had it listed as static again.

To Keith_Beddoe - I could manually set the IP on the device but the router offers me a static IP option so why should I. The features in the router should work as claimed. If not then they should not be in there at all.
0 Ratings
adamclacher
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hey,

Thanks for that! I have manually put the items outside of the DHCP range. I just don't see why it should have to be that way. But all is good now 🙂
Shame that the tick box for making it static is there, if it is not a feature like BT helpline now say. The realy should grey it out.

But sadly the I still have issues with other bits. Such a shame this hub is a pain in the a**

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Quite a few of the home hubs have that same problem, not sure if its the "a" or "b" versions, but there is a bug somewhere.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

I still think the term static IP is poor terminology.... but it's widespread with even the likes of Internet Systems Consortium calling it static (see Please help with my Smart Hub Static/DHCP issue). It's not really a static IP, but rather a DHCP allocated IP that's supposed to be reserved for a specific client. And the 'supposed' bit is where the bug is.

@adamclacher said "Shame that the tick box for making it static is there, if it is not a feature like BT helpline now say."

Was that a verbal statement from someone at BT or do you have a link to a page where you've seen it stated? Seems odd they'd drop this feature

@Keith_Beddoe said "not sure if its the "a" or "b" versions"

Do we know there is such a beast as the 'B' version? There are FTTC and FTTP variants, but I've not seen any reports on the forum of a B version, and it seems a bit soon to be having two versions.

Regards

0 Ratings
adamclacher
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Would DHCP reservation be better? It is the official term,but as the BT box says about making the IP address static. I'm just using there terminology for this case. The feature described in this way makes me think it is for general use or they would of  used  ‘big boy words’ if it was designed with businesses and IT professionals in mind.  Sometimes to solve the problem you have to use the terminology given, even if you think it is wrong. Please contact BT if you think the terminology is not up to scratch as it has nothing to do with me

DHCP Static Option screen

Yes, it was mentioned by two BT helpline people. The last guy was very nice and went to check his findings. At least he actually gave me an answer for why it was not working. This is that the feature is only for businesses only (and not trying to sell me a busniess line). This means that the simplistic wording of ‘static’ in the gui menu conflicts with my thoughts that the gui was made for general users

Apparently we should not of been able to make these changes in HH4 & HH5 like we have been doing, as it was a business feature……..

So to fix it, the machines that I need to have a fixed IP are outside of the DHCP range making them static as they have nothing to do with the DHCP server within the BT hub. Thanks Keith for the heads up 🙂

I can not speak on Keith’s behalf, but off his comments I would assume of different versions, this might be variants, software configuration or hardware. Yeah is might not be exact, but I feel that you might be looking a little too deep into that one and he was just doing a quick reply to help out

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the response. It wasn't meant as any kind of criticism of your use of terminology. As I said in the other post there's a lot different uses of the term.

Having read Keith's response again I think he was referring to the older Home Hubs rather than an A or B version of the Smart Hub.

Regards

0 Ratings