cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midsomerjambo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Re: How can I find my cabinet number and when it will be enabled?

Hi,

I've been told by BT help chat that my address can get BT Faster Broadband but not Infinity. I'm connected to the Trowbridge SSTRO exchange which is apparently "FTTC available in some areas")  Presumably that's to do with the distance of my house from either the exchange (2.2km) or the street cabinet (not sure which cabinet I'm connected to or where it is). If I've understood correctly, Faster Broadband uses the same fibre infrastructure as Infinity but because the speed can't be guaranteed as above 15Mb/s it can't be sold as Infinity. I am currently a Sky Talk subscriber so many of the BT utilities come back with an "number not recognised" error when I enter the phone number. So I guess I have 2 questions:

o If I take up Faster Broadband, how can I find out what speed I can actually expect?   

o How can I find out how long it will be before I can get the full Infinity service?

I might add that a friend of mine in Trowbridge (1.1km from SSTRO) has full Infinity.

Thanks for any help, Midsomerjambo

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Hi midsomerjambo,

BT Infinity and BT Faster Unlimited  Broadband is just BT Retail's brandname for their fibre broadband service.

The reason why BT Retail say you can't get FTTC BT Infinity is because the FTTC estimation is below 15mbps.

However you should be able to get BT Faster Unlimited Broadband (FTTC) which is the same as BT Infinity FTTC but for those who have been estimated 15mbps or less on FTTC

BT Retail set a minimum speed required in order to get BT Infinity which is an FTTC estimation of 15mbps or above, if you have been estimated less than 15mbps for FTTC then you won't be able to get BT Infinity but may be given the choice of BT Faster Unlimited Broadband which still uses the same FTTC Openreach infrastructure and equipment .

What does it say for your landline number when you go to http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl , If you don't have a BT Wholesale compatible number then you can check by your address by going to http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput (won't be as accurate as the landline number checker, but will give you an idea of the estimation speed)

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps from an FTTC service, though may be offered BT Retail's sub 15mbps FTTC service called BT Faster Unlimited Broadband.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality.

This graph is also just a general estimation of what the speed could be achieved and not the actual speed you will receive. Also your line maybe longer than you would think as it may not go the direct way to either the cabinet or exchange.

As to your other question How can I find out how long it will be before I can get the full Infinity service?

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband Scheme is being rolled out, done and managed by Openreach for ALL ISPs/CPs so BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP whom operates this forum) does not have much input or say whether Openreach will improve the FTTC fibre infrastructre in your area.

Unless Openreach (who owns and maintain the fibre broadband infrastructure in your exchange area) either installs a new PCP and Dslam cabinet nearer to your property, or you order FTTPoD (Fibre to the Premisies On Demand) [not currently being supported by any ISP] which may cost you thousands, then I'm afraid it may be several years or so until the FTTC fibre infrastructure is improved by Openreach.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 15

To find your cab no. Go here.

midsomerjambo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hi jac_25,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply and for the promptness of your response.

Apparently, my address is served by SSTRO cabinet 61. The table displayed shows under "Featured Products":

WBC FTTC Downstream Line Rate: up to 56.6Mb/s

I got this by using my house number and postcode as the number, being a Sky number, wasn't recognised. The response returned my complete address so does the 56MB/s relate to what the premises should expect or is that just what the cabinet is capable of delivering to addresses that are close enough? 

Is there any mapping app you're aware of that shows the location of cabinets? The estate I live on is only about 10 years old so given the exchange itself is only 2200m away (as the crow flies) I'd be surprised if the cabinet is as much as 1500m away but I guess you never know.

Thanks again, Midsomerjambo

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 15

No problem Midsomerjambo,

Nope the estimation is for your property. Though from that information from the BTWholesale database seems to suggest that you may be able to get BT Infinity rather than the sub 15mbps FTTC service as your estimated 56mbps.

However the address is less accurate than using a landline number. Do you have any neighbours that have a BT Wholesale recognisable landline number, or who already have BT Infinity or a FTTC broadband service?

I'm afraid there is no cabinet mapping apps or websites that are linked to Openreach or BTplc due to the fact that the cabints locations could be considered commercially sensitive.

Though you could go for a walk or virtual walk (google street view) and look for your pcp (cabinet), which usually has the pcp number written on them.

Cheers
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

If you are doing the check on your address then you will be getting a guesstemate of the average speeds for that post code area. The most accurate is a phone number check but as you have said, your Sky phone won't allow this.

Are any of your neighbours BT customers, if so:

a) can they do a check to confirm what cabinet you are probably on

b) what sort of speeds are they getting.

The other thing you could do is take a walk around and see if you can find the cabinet although you won't know for sure if it is the one that serves your house.

midsomerjambo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Thanks everybody that responded. Time to check out the neighbours.

Regards, MSJ

0 Ratings
c13ugg
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Hi All, I know my cabinet number, does anyone know where I can find out when it will be enabled for FTTC?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

send an email with phone number and exchnage here  nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk  may take a week or so for openreach to reply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Afogg
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

If you want to find out if your specific address is fibre enable, use: http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre/fibre-journey.aspx#connect
Just enter your postcode and then house number/name. This will give you the status of the cabinet in your area and tell you whether fibre is being worked on at your postcode.
Hope this helps!
0 Ratings