cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nige1912
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: How do I find out the phone number in a new house?

Go to solution
I have this same problem. Moved into a property, went to sign up with sky for my internet, they can't take over the line without knowing what the landline number is! Been trying to sort this for three months and am getting nowhere. BT open reach are not customer facing and won't speak to me, I have no dial tone or even static when I plug a phone in, so can't do the 17070 trick. And yet sky are telling me I have an active line!!! Utterly farcical.
I now can't have internet at home, all because the providers can't get their act together in the 21st century, and find out a simple thing like what phone number a property has.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Go to solution
then you need to order a new phone line as well **bleep** broadband all providers are able to do that

as there is no dial tone there will be no number allocated to it as it is disconnected from the exchange equipment
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
It wouldn't be an Openreach or BT problem. If Sky are having problems ordering you phone/broadband because their 'Computer says No' then they'll need to sort it.

They're fobbing you off if their referring you to Openreach because they simply maintain the physical Network from the MDF to the NTE on behalf of the BT Group.

They have nothing to do with the Exchange part, especially Sky as they use their own LLU Network which is competely independent from BT's Network.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Why, given that presumably you have told Sky that there is no dialtone at the socket, insist that there is a 'working' line at the property for you to 'takeover' ?

Its pretty simple really , just tell the provider of your choice you need a ' new ' line, the fact the house has a socket only shows the property probably had service at sometime in the past...

If you are only considering Sky, and you mange to get Sky to raise the appropriate order, you may find that the existing socket can be made 'live' from outside your property , so you may not get a visit, although they will expect you to be in on the appointment day and time, in case Openreach do need to access your property .

0 Ratings