cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Re: I believe BT have capped my Internet speed, What can I do about it ?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I appear to have a similar problem.

I moved house 3 weeks ago (to a new build) my move order stated expected speed of 40-45Mbps and guaranteed minimum of 35Mbps, not great but distance from exchange, etc. but I do pay for Infinity 2. I was told by installation engineer that I was getting 40mbps, but when I connected up my Smarthub was only getting 8Mbps, so I raised a fault. I was told there was an issue on the line and it would be fixed in 4 days and to re-test then. I was then getting up to 27Mbps and so still less than guaranteed minimum so had to raise a new fault as BT closed the 1st one.

This time I was told that an engineer would need to visit my property so had to arrange a day for me to be at home, which was today. Over the last few days speed had improved slightly and was getting 32Mbps. The engineer arrived tested everything at my end and said line could only support up to 35Mbps, but would also check the cabinet. He came back and informed me that at the cabinet it was actually getting 151Mbps but that my line had been capped at 34.99Mbps! He did something to try and remove the cap at my end but said this didn't work so I would need to call it in, which I did but was told that they never cap lines and would need to raise a complaint for it to be investigated further. Since the call my speed has increase to 38Mbps, so finally higher than the minimum, but considering I pay for Infinity 2 and technically I could get up to 151Mbps, why would BT cap my speed so low, and especially lower than the guaranteed minimum and why did it take 3 weeks and an engineer to figure this out? Even though my speed has increased slightly, it would suggest to me that they have just upped the cap a little to get it over minimum, surely if they are to cap then it should be at 76Mbps which is the top speed for Infinity 2 in my area!

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 36

if you estimated speed in new home is 40/45mb then it isvery unlikely you are going to get infinity 2 speed of 76mb and may well decide to downgrade to infinity 1

interesting to see checker results

it would help if you posted the stats from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 36

BT Broadband.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

Infinity 2 is going to be a waste of money, as the max connection speed, under ideal conditions, would only be 55Mbs.

Which BT home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 36

I have a Smarthub, and yes Infinity 2 does seem to be a waste, but that was what I had at my last house where I did get an extra 10Mbps when I upgraded from Infinity 1

So in essence I have a few issues here, BT are charging me for Infinity 2 when the reality is that they can only actually give me Infinity 1 speeds, they have throttled back my speed (probably to compensate for interference, etc. in order to give me a guaranteed connection) but set the limit to below my contractual minimum guaranteed speed. They have also wasted 3 weeks in getting engineers to fixed line faults at the exchange and today to visit my house, when actually there is no actual issue, they have just throttled the speed back to low.

I have just ran another speed test and I am now getting 38Mbps, so something has changed, but even though that is now more than my guaranteed minimum, it is still nowhere near the maximum speed that I could get and certainly not what I should get under the Infinity 2 service. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 36

BT1.pngBT2.pngBT3.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

your connection speed is 41.6mb with normal noise margin of 6db and almost at attianable

connection looks ok and within estimated speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Before the engineer visit this morning and my call back to BT the connection speed was only 27Mbps and the max for the line was 'capped' at 34.99Mbps, so it has now improved. But even at 41.60Mpbs this still isn't great for Infinity 2?

0 Ratings