cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Re: I'm Done With BT - Appalling Customer Service

I can't believe a large organisation like BT can treat their paying customers with such disdain. I lost my landline and broadband a couple of weeks ago. My close neighbours lost their services at the same time too. When contacting the so called care centre I was given the impression there was no fault with their system and the problem was mine and if they sent an engineer out and a problem was found on my property I would be charged £130. This seemed to be the only message the assistant seemed interested in giving. I understood this but from the outset the assistant made it quite clear she believed the problem was mine. When I told her that as my near neighbours lost their service at the same time, it was likely the problem was with BT, any sensible person might conclude there could be a link. But not the care assistant. She assured me the computer was saying there was no problem with their network. I had to insist I wanted an engineer to investigate and accepted the risk of the £130 charge. I was left feeling frustrated that I was not believed and the care centre seemed unable to take basic information and draw simple conclusions. What sort of people do they employ?

the next day I received a text message to say the engineer would not now call on the agreed day because they had found a major network fault and many more customers were without service. Why wasn't the care centre aware of this and able to link the various reports they must have received.? 

To add insult to injury when the service was reconnected I wasn't informed I was 'back on' no was there any curtesy call to make sure everything was ok now. I am now seeking alternative providers. They can't be any worse than this shower. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

@Bruised wrote:

What sort of people do they employ?

For the most part, script readers. The line tests they rely on are very basic and often fail to identify the problem. They then tend to assume this inevitably points to an issue with the customer's internal equipment. Of course they should be more circumspect, but it's probably difficult to get them grasp, a factor which hopefully will improve once BT have pulled their customer service fully back to the UK. People tend to read too much into the £130 charge warning. It has to be given for the avoidance of doubt in the minority of cases where the problem really does turn out to be on the customer's side. For what it's worth, I've had three line failures in the last 5-6 years. I was told each time that the issue was likely to be down to me and given the warning. I was sure that it couldn't be on my side so I didn't let it stress me out, and my confidence was justified every time. The creaky old pole over the road is he weakest link - and it's simlar for the many of us who depend on an infrastructure designed for wind-up telephones being used to deliver high-tech broadband.

Poor communication with customers is serious issue but, let's face it, it isn't just BT and it isn't just telecoms, it's everywhere. Best of luck with your new provder, but when the chips are down there will be little difference.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

please remember that unless you have a cable service available then regardless of provider they all use Openreach for provision and maintenance of the network and the same charges
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Poor communication with customers is serious issue but, let's face it, it isn't just BT and it isn't just telecoms, it's everywhere. Best of luck with your new provder, but when the chips are down there will be little difference.

Lets fact facts, BT are useless at customer service, yes TalkTalk are useless too but outside of Telecoms a company needs to be really bad to get near BT incompetance, just a simple call to get the exchange broadband reset after a line fault has killed the connection takes 50 minutes.

So far this week, 

Report line fault: No it not us so expect to pay £129.99 if the fault is inside your property including garden. (which is ripe considering it was laid 4 inches under the ground by BT when it should be miniumum 12 inches), none of the cable around the guttering has any ties so hangs loose and flaps in the wind.

Call monday Yes its us after all so your Friday visit is cancelled and we will fix thursday

2 hrs later BT ring again and leave message saying they rang.

Rang back to be told nothing has changed, thursday is on, fri is off, 2nd cal was repeat of first (WHY?).

Wed get text about friday, charge £129.99, text back and despite promise texts are monitored and replied to, no reply.

Ring back, no idea about text, thurs is on fri is off 100%

Thursday, no repair.

If the engineer turns up tomorrow he better have ear defenders fitted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

It would be prudent to wait until fault is fixed otherwise you may find your fault is not fixed when the engineer leaves

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

No engineer to day and yes I am not dumb enough to shout at him.

India rang to ask if the line had been repaired (why do they need to ask me, are they not told ?)

They then rang me back after checking with Openreach to tell me it was not repairable on Thursday as its a complex issue and a line survey would be done late Fri night and planned to be repaired Monday.

Then got a text reply to my text of thursday saying I can rebook the Fri appointment, but I did not ask it to rebooked, I asked why I was being texted about an appointment that had been cancelled by BT 3 days before.

Currently plotting my escape, I know the line will still be BT but someone else can deal with this useless organisation on my behalf. If ever mobile data becomes affordable for home use the landline will be stripped out.

3 line faults this year, every fault has been torture to resolve plus the free BT Sport not being free fiasco shows they cannot be trusted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@kommando wrote:

Lets fact facts, BT are useless at customer service, yes TalkTalk are useless too but outside of Telecoms a company needs to be really bad to get near BT incompetance ...

... unless you count utilities, holiday operators, HMRC, insurers, etc, etc.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

So your defence of BT is that others are just as bad, well phone down dec 9th and despite numerous promises of a fix it did not get fixed until the 4th Jan and there are 'issues' outstanding which are unexplained.

So instead of pay through the nose for useless service I am off to pay a third party less, yes the line will still be BT but no more useless Indian call centre that even the engineers dread to phone.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@kommando wrote:

So your defence of BT is that others are just as bad 

I wasn't defending BT, just correcting your assertion that incompetence is confined to telecoms.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi - I've just posted my own tale of woe re customer services and order management so can only sympathise with the OP.

I am a support and services professional in the IT/Computer industry and run call centres across Europe and India. If my teams were anywhere near as bad as BT's then I'd fall on my sword. I wouldn't wait to be shown the door.

Although I am asking for help in my post, and I will hopefully receive it, I can categorically state that BT's handling of my situation has been the worst I have ever seen from any supplier I have encountered - both privately and professionally. For anyone to try to deflect by saying "we're not the only ones" is indicative to me of the problem within BT.

An alcohoilic has to stand up in an AA meeting and say "my name is Fred and I'm an alcoholic" - BT need to stand up and similarly acknowledge that their service is truly dreadful as a first step towards revamping their services organisation.

Laurie

0 Ratings