Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Re: Infinity 2 mis-selling

@MissSold wrote:
I recently swapped to BT, having been told by the website and the salesperson that fibre optic broadband - Infinity 2 - was available to me. This was confirmed by 2 line checks. I was told I had to swap to the 'standard' broadband first, then phone to arrange an engineer to call. I did this today, and after another line check was told that Infinity was not available to me, but it would be 'soon'. As straightforward a case of mis-selling as you could ever be the victim of.

I know this is an old post but I wondered what the outcome was.

I had a relative (let’s call him John) who wanted to come to stay but needed a lot of bandwidth on the internet for work. As we were all using a lot ourselves (using Sky broadband) I had to put him off.

Then, as if by magic, BT came to the rescue and sent me a text suggesting high-speed fibre.

I phoned the number and I was sold the new service. Not only that but I had a new mobile, an upgrade to another mobile and the land-line service bundled in. I could cancel the Sky broadband/phone bundle.

I told John he could come and so, when the “delivery date” from BT came through I let him know and he cancelled the office space he had hired.

The big day came but we found that it was not high speed at all but a slower service than the Sky service I was just about to stop using. Not only that but it often just stopped working.

So now, in order to cope with our on-line demands the Sky broadband cancellation (that included the phone) has been put on hold and we are paying for BT and Sky.

The help from BT was extremely poor. They admitted that they had sold a product that they could not deliver but refused to take responsiibility or help me out fo the problem. When I went through the chairman’s office to complain I got a wrongly dated letter back with incorrect information.

Now I am stuck. I have invoiced BT for the Sky costs but they have so far not paid.

Obviously no company can be allowed to get away with attempting to sell a product that does not exist. My solution is the courts and so I am just about to embark upon legal action.

However, before I do, if anyone has had a similar experience or there is a kind of ‘class action’ that I can hitch to that would be great. If this company are treating me this way I can only assume others are suffering and safety in numbers may be what’s needed.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
DavidM
Message 2 of 13

Hi @Ken_Simons and welcome.

I’m sorry we weren’t able to provide the service we promised. You’ve mentioned you received a letter from the chairman’s office. Did that give you a final position or are there contact details you can get in touch with?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

@DavidM wrote:

Hi @Ken_Simons and welcome.

I’m sorry we weren’t able to provide the service we promised. You’ve mentioned you received a letter from the chairman’s office. Did that give you a final position or are there contact details you can get in touch with?

Cheers

David

David, it doesn't mention the word final but makes the offer of ceasing the broadband service despite the fact that I explained that need to use 2 services (Sky and Broadband). As such the offer was no solution at all unless BT can arrange for a third internet provider to do this.

It also makes no reference to the fact that I have a 2 mobile phones and a landline bundled in with the deal and how these will be affected. It also has its facts wrong in places (and is incorrectly dated).

The solution is no solution at all as I am still left with the problem and it was BT that alerted me to and sold me this service that turns out not to exist and started all this trouble!

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 4 of 13

Hi @Ken_Simons,

The best way forward with this is to contact the Chairman's Office back again using the contact details from your letter. It may be best to speak with them over the phone directly.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

@DanielS wrote:

Hi @Ken_Simons,

The best way forward with this is to contact the Chairman's Office back again using the contact details from your letter. It may be best to speak with them over the phone directly.

Thanks

DanielS

I did that: I posted a letter to the chairman's office on 5th October and have had no reply

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 6 of 13

They should have listed a contact number for the team on the letter you received?

Did they give you any point of contact apart from replying back by letter?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

@DanielS wrote:

They should have listed a contact number for the team on the letter you received?

Did they give you any point of contact apart from replying back by letter?

Thanks

DanielS

Yes, the tel no. on the letter is **Edited**

Do you suggest I try that?

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 8 of 13

Hi @Ken_Simons

Thanks for posting back.

Yes, I suggest you should call that number to progress your complaint.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Well the latest is that, on top of everything, we got a BT bill for nearly £400.00 for no reason at all! This company is really starting to look silly now.

I finally got around to ringing that number and spoke to someone in that office.I told her about this erroneous bill. The mystery item is described on the bill as follows:

“This is the charge for ceasing your telephone line 2 year contract prior to the end of your contract"

I have not ceased anything and the lady I was talking with didn’t know why it was there and agreed to strike it from the bill (presumably a credit will follow).

Then back to the original business. I explained that BT had caused us quite a few problems and on top of that the broadband service is sometimes slow and sometimes goes off altogether.

She said they will investigate how I was sold the superfast service that doesn't exist. I did express amazement that they hadn’t started this process already. Apparently the terms of the investigation are to do with why I was sold this service that they couldn’t deliver. She said they would not investigate the problems it had caused us. On that point she advised me to take it up with the Ombudsman which we will do.

I also asked her, when we find office space and are able to resume having just one broadband service, how we separate one element (broadband) from the bundled deal. She said I had to speak with a sales person.

So, there we have it. BT wants it delegated to the ombudsman. So be it.

Meanwhile we will continue to raise invoices for the costs BT are incurring.

So off the ombudsman!

0 Ratings
Ken_Simons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Turns out the "ombudsman' is incorrectly named.

This is what I sent to OfCom on 16th March 2017:

Hello, I took my complaint to an organisation calling itself “Ombudsman Services: Communications” and it did not address the fact that we are out of pocket due to BT providing an unordered and unwanted service.

They also did not address the fact that the unordered service was called “Unlimited” suggesting that the speed was unlimited. The speed was actually limited to the same or just below the service we already had.

The “ombudsman” defended BT on the grounds that the customer was responsible for checking BT’s work and BT cannot be held responsible for what its suppliers do.

It defended BT breaking a contract on the grounds that it failed to provide another item that was ordered. According to the "ombudsman" this failure relegated the contracted agreement from an order to an "offer". I found the lack of logic here bizarre.

Apparently selling the wrong product is “industry practice”.

As the “ombudsman” seems to live in a different planet where different rules apply I would like to complain about this organisation’s lack of regard to the customer whereby, instead of addressing our grievances, the “ombudsman” took the opportunity to address problems that BT was apparently suffering from, including from its supplier.

I have no interest in BT’s internal problems with its suppliers or with its need to expect third partners to check its work.

I do expect it to pay for the costs incurred when it has made a contract to supply a service by a given date and then allocated an inferior and unordered service, without permission from the customer.

If I ran run my company on the basis that I could blame suppliers for what goes wrong, blame the customer for not checking my work and then supply a different product than my customers ordered, I would be out of business.  Unless, that is, I had an organisation which got away with labelling itself an "ombudsman", in which case it could be a licence to print money.

I would also like to complain to this organisation, “Ombudsman Services: Communications” using the word “Ombudsman” in its title. Surely this breaches some law?

Also, and separately, as the “ombudsman” does not wish to address my complaint I would ask you respectfully to do so instead.

Looking forward to your response.

0 Ratings