cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Re: Infinity 2 slowing down and not near the initial estimate.

Hi,

I was installed on 24th Jan and was getting 71 down 19 up consistently, regardless of the time of day.

I had an issue where my mac book refused to connect, saying the home hub password was wrong (it wasn't).  I rebooted the home hub 5 (first time I've had to do it) and the speed has dropped to 67 down 18 up.  The mac book was able to connect after the reboot.

I know it's not a big drop, but it is a drop and I'm curious as to why it would drop at all ??

I assume it's DLM kicking in, but why should it when it's the first time I've ever rebooted the hub??  I could understand if I was rebooting on a regular basis??

I certainly don't want it to drop any further - should I be proactivley contactling BT about it?? 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 18

DLM measures errors as well as disconnections. If it sees instability, it adjusts your line parameters to fix this.

One of the first things it does it to turn on interleaving and this reduces your speed.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Rather than being on somebody elses post I moved you so that any answers you get are relevant to you.

DLM should not have kicked in with just one reboot.

You could contact BT but I doubt that they will do anything to help as you will no doubt still be within your estimated speeds.

Speed tests can vary depending on time of day etc so it might be worth doing another test ot two over the next few days to see if your missing 4Mbps returns or if the speed drops more. If it keeps dropping then I would contact BT.

Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 18

DLM needs a reboot to kick in.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

thanks for the quick replies.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and if it slips any more I'll give the "help desk" a ring.

Still very impressed with the connection - having moved from VM 60/3 connection, the extra upload for my work VPN is brilliant.

Once agin, thanks for the prompt replies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Update.

Connection has slowly come back up to 70/19

One thing I've noticed in the advanced/broadband/internet page on the hub is the connection time seems to be always around the 1 or 2 day mark??  The ONLY time I've ever manually rebooted the HH5 was when I had the issue with the macbook (which I now know to be a fault with the macbook and nothing to do with the HH5) and that was nearly 3 weeks ago.

Is the HH5 rebooting itself??  If it is, I've never noticed a drop in the connection, in which case it's doing in at night ??

Having said that, the current connection time says 1 day 10 hours, which puts the reebot at 10:15am yesterday morning??

Will this activity make DLM kick in ??  If it does, I'm starting to think that the combined VDSL modem and router in the HH5 is not such a great idea after all - might be starting to try and get an open reach moden and use my own router??

Any thoughts, or am I just being paranoid ??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

There are a few other posts about the HH5 rebooting. Have a search through the forum. I agree that the integrated modem and router is a bad thing because of the problems resetting can cause with DLM where as a separate modem and router does not affect DLM if you are only resetting the router but I don't see BT changing things now.

Given a choice I would have a separate modem and a decent router which would not be a Homehub 5.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

I agree, I can't see BT reversing the decision to go back to 2 boxes.

I've looked in the logs for the HH5 and I can't actually see many references to "system going down for a reboot" and yet my connection time is currently saying 1 day 22 hours which puts the reboot at 10:00am on Thursday morning.  Is it "normal" that there would be no record of this in the logs ??

Is a valid option to buy an Openreach modem ??

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

I would have thought that there would have been a record on the logs if it was going down for a "scheduled" reboot. It may be that there is a fault such as a power outage that is causing the reboots and this might not be recorded on the logs but I believe the restart should be. I don't have an HH5 so I am not up to speed with what is and what is not recorded on the logs but I'm sure somebody else will be able to advise on that.

You can buy Openreach modems on auction sites for about £20 and you can just plug and go. You would be able to use a third party router if want or if you have an older Homehub  you could use that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 18

Yes, the HH5 logs will show you what's been happening. (Advanced Settings, Troubleshooting, Event Log.)

To avoid getting lost in a long list of firewall events, you can view the log by different categories. Boot will show you each time the HH5 rebooted; System records the hub shutting down and starting up; WAN records disconnections/reconnections from the ISP; and TR069 records the regular (every 24 hour) conversations betwen the HH5 and the remote BT/Motive server.

p

0 Ratings