cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prinknash
Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: Infinity 2 slowing down and not near the initial estimate.

@Geoff_UK wrote:

I've looked in the logs for the HH5 and I can't actually see many references to "system going down for a reboot" and yet my connection time is currently saying 1 day 22 hours which puts the reboot at 10:00am on Thursday morning.  Is it "normal" that there would be no record of this in the logs ??

You can have a disconnection/reconnection from the internet without the HH5 actually rebooting. In my own case, my logs (the 'Boot' and 'System' categories) show the system last going down and rebooting at around 5:30 Tuesday morning. But the connection time is only 2 and a bit days because my connection was broken by a "termination request" in the early hours on Thursday. The 'WAN' log records that and the 'conversation' as the hub reconnected.

p

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 18

this is a steep learning curve for me !!  I was ok with the cable modem logs from my VM connection - I'm finding this lot tough to interperet !!

This line in the WAN log seems to coincide with the current connection:

09:55:12, 03 Apr.(1716822.040000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

It certainly wasn't a "user request" from my end ??

When I've looked at the boot logs, I can see this entry which equates to the manual reboot that I performed when my macbook refused to connect to the wireless:

12:01:05, 14 Mar.( 15.490000) Booting firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A)

This would infer that I was perhaps a little hasty in describing the Home Hub as "rebooting", it would appear that it is dropping the connection, rather than actually doing random reboots - sorry for any confusion. 

I will do a little more searching on here and give my self a slap for not being accurate with my original post !!

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 13 of 18

Oh, I don't think any slapping is necessary!

The "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" event is one that a number of people have been experiencing with their hubs. (You'll see several threads in this forum discussing that subject.) It may not be a 'user request' in the sense that you asked for it to happen, but it does seem to be a dropping of the connection by your hub rather than at the other end. Whether that is in turn the result of an instruction originating from the other end isn't yet clear.

p

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 18

I will read up on this - thanks so much for the assistance.

I will also monitor the logs in HH5

Cheers

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

Good God - this is not what I signed up for !!!

I'm working away all week and I've got the kids and my wife moaning at me 'cos the internet keeps going off !!

Here are the extracts from the log files - can anyone interperet them for me, or do I just blast BT when I get home ??

13:04:31, 08 Apr.(2160171.580000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

13:05:15, 08 Apr.( 15.590000) Booting firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A)

13:27:14, 08 Apr. ( 1334.980000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

13:27:56, 08 Apr.( 15.610000) Booting firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A)

14:33:13, 08 Apr.( 3933.230000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

It would appear that my hub received a file this afternoon:

13:02:24, 08 Apr.(2160043.790000) CWMP: Download file, FileType=4, FileName=5a-1.10-bundle5app-package.tar.gz.aes.rsa.signed, Username=, CommandKey=1504145002

new firmware ???

no evidence of it actually being installed though ??

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 17 of 18

Hi Geoff_UK,

Thanks for posting. Sorry you're having problems. You've mentioned the PPP LCP in your posts. Take a look here for information on that. Can you try posting results from the speed test including further diagnostics and we'll take a look for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

David,

Please find attached results, as requested.

Please note that I am logged into my home machine via remote desktop from London, as such I would imagine a small ammount of bandwidth is being consumed maintaining the RDP connection.  If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask

Current connection time is 21hrs 42mins at present

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download speedachieved during the test was - 68.63 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 56.47 Mbps-70.59 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 70.59 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings