cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Re: Infinity - throughput speeds/ traffic shaping/ evening speed reduction/ speed profile/ Helpdesk

Go to solution

British Telecom claims below regarding their infinity:
Many other internet service providers put restrictions on certain types of internet traffic or a limit on how much you can download or upload which means that at peak times of day, customers may experience slower speeds.

We don't think that's a good enough experience for BT customers so we have made all of our unlimited products 'Totally Unlimited'

'Totally Unlimited' means that you will be able to enjoy catch-up TV, streamed films, online gaming and other bandwidth-eating applications, without ever being slowed down by traffic management controls.

BT Claims that Traffic is not shaped, well explain this the BT, why are Torrents slowed to a snails crawl at Peak times which is pretty much the whole weekend and afternoons, evenings and anytime that people actually use the Internet!

Please tell me that this is not FALSE advertising of the most blatent nature!  As Torrents during these times 4pm-12am is slowed down to like nothing (20kb/s if you are lucky) please note it does work normally outside of these times so there is no technical malfunction with the equiptment or computer!!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity - throughput speeds/ traffic shaping/ evening speed reduction/ speed profile/ Helpdesk

Go to solution

In order to get the "Totally Unlimited" you have to take out a new contract as it's not an automatic upgrade.

Use the following link to upgrade on line: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29280

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

What? My internet is totally unlimited!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

As Ratty says, you need a new contract.

BT should have said

We think that's a good enough experience for existing BT customers, so we've changed around the package naming a bit and left existing customers throttled.

The new contract should not cost any more than the old one.  However, it will mean you have 12 months more on BT contract: for some people who were not very far into an 18 month contract that actually meant a reduction in contract time.  For others near the end of contract it means a significant increase.  (Basically, the more loyal you have been to BT, the more they will penalize you.)

Go to your My BT page and sign up.  As the new contract comes live don't be surprised if My BT comes up with odd rubbish such as 'no phone, no broadband' for your status.  It may then take a few days before the you see the throttling removed.  I have seen five days quoted somewhere; for me it was less than 1 day for the contract to change, then just over 1 day more before I saw throttling removed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I don't understand, why do I need to recontract?  I am pointing out a false claim!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
If anything I am LESS likely to recontract
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@killersmithstar wrote:

What? My internet is totally unlimited!

You will only be totally unlimited if you have taken out a new contract since 1st Feb 2013.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Because the package you are on has limits on P2P.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
This is absolutely B/S I hate BT, why do they scam their customers?
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@killersmithstar wrote:
This is absolutely B/S I hate BT, why do they scam their customers?

Please see following link for more Info: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Introducing-Totally-Unlimited-Broadband-from-BT/td-p/764984