cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 18

Re: LACK OF HELP FROM BT

Hi,

Did this get any resolution please? I have exactly the same issue - HH5 can't see printers connected by ethernet.

(I too soent 3 hours on the  phone to BT and got nowhere - then Googled it and fiund hundreds of oosts with the same issue)

If the answer is to buy another modem can anyone recommend a modern one that works with Infinity that is NOT BT please?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

I have moved you onto your own thread rather than leaving it on a thread that is over a year old was not related to printer problems.

If you are having a problem connecting your printer or  printers can you supply some other information such a what the make and model of printer(s) do you have.

What steps have you taken to try and connect?

Have the printers been connected to your home network previously?

Have you deleted any previous connections that are stored in the printer?

Have you tried a factory reset of the printer?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 18

Hi gg30340, thank you for your help.

I used to have ADSL2+ via a Draytek Vigor 2820n with ethernet connections to 2 PCs (running W10 and W-Vista) and 2 network printers (HP 2430tn + Brother MFC 9640 CDN - both cpnnected to the Draytek) and various laptops running W7 and W10 + iPads, phones etc., plus Sky TV and a smart TV. There's also ethernet connections to various bedrooms for playstations and further PCs.  All relevant devices could print to either printer and/or control the scan functions etc. As you'd expect. I also run VoiP on 2 Grandstream phones. Not all devices at once though!!

The internal IP addresses were in the range 192.168.10.XX - YY (mostly to accommodate the VoiP).

It all ran smoothly and the Draytek is a dream.

On Tuesday I switched to BT Infinity and swapped in the HH5. Well Tuesday won't go down in history as BT's greatest day for sure and I couldn't tell if it was me or them - so I searched the web, when it was up, and found this set of threads. It looks like teh HH5 is not fit for purpose.

I can't see either printer through any PC device or through advanced settings on the HH5.

There was an unknown connected device I could see that looked as though it could be the Brother MFC, but when I changed the port setting to that suggested it disappeared.

I've used the Brother software removal tool to unload and reload new drivers - no good.

I've tried the same in Windows with the same result.

Unless there is a silver bullet, I'm guessing it's the HH5 so will need to buy a new Draytek - probably the 286-n-plus - (any thoughts?) and then argue the toss with BT.

I've factory reset the HH5 loads of times, and resigned myself to a new bit of kit - unless you can tell me otherwise please?

Many thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Did you allocate static addresses to the devices? The HH uses 192.168.1.xx subnet.

Edit. Rather than buying a VDSL capable Draytek, you could just get an Openreach modem from ebay and continue to use your existing router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 18

Yes, each device had a static IP address that was opened as a TCP/IP port on each PC device for printing, though the Brother set up programme susbequently found the device on its own for the latest laptop (in the old world).

I've never played with the settings in the printers - just done it all from the main desktop PC to start.

The Draytek was a modem / router combined. It fed a switch (forgot to mention that) and I've tried it with and without the switch now - no good.

If I do the Openreach way, what router would I use? If the old Draytek, is there a way of the HH5 feeding the existing Draytek as a router?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

If you have set static IPs in the 192.168.10.xx range, they will need to be changed to 192.168.1.xx to work with the HH.

If you go the Openreach modem route, you just connect it to the WAN port on your Draytek nothing else changes. The HH5 will then be superfluous. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Just re-read your post, I assume you mean can you use the HH5 as a Modem rather than router.

It cannot be configured as a true modem, but by turning off DHCP and Wireless etc it can be used as one. Not an ideal solution though, a standalone modem would be better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 18

Yes, I've tried changing the static IPs to 192.168.1.XX but the HH still can't see them.  Not sure how to do factory resets of either printer.

Can I attach the HH5 to the WAN port on my Draytek and get the same effect?

It seems to be common that HH5 can't see ethernet wired printers, is that your experiences?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

As has been suggested, if everything worked the way you want with the Draytek you would be better to take the Homehub out of the equation.

Is the Draytek an ADSL modem/router or a VDSL modem/router or even a combined one.

The HH5 can not be set up in modem only mode and in any event there have been many posts about the stability of the HH5 modem.

If the Draytek is not a VDSLModem/router I would buy an Openreach modem from ebay and assuming your Draytek has a WAN port I would use that.

If you do you set the log on details as bthomehub@btbroadband.com It does not need a password but if your router needs one just use BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@gdburden wrote:

Yes, I've tried changing the static IPs to 192.168.1.XX but the HH still can't see them.  Not sure how to do factory resets of either printer.

Can I attach the HH5 to the WAN port on my Draytek and get the same effect?

It seems to be common that HH5 can't see ethernet wired printers, is that your experiences?

I wouldn't give a HH5 house room personally, but there does appear to be a number of posts with printers giving problems. However, to be fair, I doubt it is a universal problem as there would be many more posts.

0 Ratings