cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: LACK OF HELP FROM BT

So, it should be possible to turn of DHCP + wireless on the HH5.

Then to connect it to the Draytek with wireless on and DHCP on - and everything connected to it......

and then it might work?

Or I go and buy either a new modem, or a new modem router?

Is this a common issue with HH5 - it shouldn't be, should it?  BT's bit of kit should work really shouldn't it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

You can do that, but for the sake of £20 - £30 for an Openreach modem I wouldn't bother. The modems are much better than the HH.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

cancel that - it seems HH5 is not a modem in its own right then!

The Draytek Vigor 2820n I have is an ADSL modem / router / wireless and has a WAN port

The proposed one is 2860n-plus which is a modem / router / dual band wireless (also has a WAN port)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

The 2860n is a combined VDSL/ADSL Modem/Router which will be fine. However, it seems a lot of money to spend when you have a perfectly good setup already that just requires a £30 modem to work. Obviously your choice.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

OK, ty - is it just a "generic" Openreach VDSL modem I need please?  Or does it have a model number?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

There are 2 versions of the Openreach modem. Huawei Echolife HG612 and ECI B-Focus.  The Huawei ones sell at a premium as they support G.Inp technology whereas the ECI ones don't. G.Inp is a noise reduction technology which can improve speeds on a noisy line. If getting the last Mbp/s of speed is not important to you, the ECI will suffice. Also the Huawei will only be of benefit if you are connected to a Huawei cabinet.

Edit:  Unlocked modems also sell at an extra premium and is not needed for operation, just to get advanced line stats. The unlocking procedure is very straightforward if you wanted to do it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

Just a generic Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Thanks everyone.

0 Ratings