Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Re: Landline

Go to solution

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to deal with an intermittent fault where on dialling out I continue to get the dial tone but after many attempts it will connect. Line tests of course show no fault. It is worse if I try and continually do last number redial when trying to reach an engaged phone. I also sometimes get wrong numbers whilst this fault is present

BT will say no fault and charge me to check my wiring which must all be OK as fibre broadband is never any trouble and I get 76Mbps.

I have already replaced my DECT phone suspecting that may be the problem but the fault persists.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Go to solution

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Have you tried the phone in the test socket to see if it still gives problems?

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

If you have changed your telephone and the same thing happens it's unlikely to be your equipment (but not impossible)...as already advised you should try the new phone in the master socket test port, so no broadband router/filter or anything else plugged  into the line and confirm the problem remains ..if it does there are possibly two areas of suspicion , the exchange line card, or the broadband port your line uses (even if the broadband performance isn't affected)..these issues won't show up on a 'line test' hence the warning about charges.

If you have already eliminated your own wiring/equipment as potentially the cause of the problem, you should report the fault to your telephony provider, unable to break dial tone is a phrase phone engineers should recognise,

If your phone has a switch for MF (tone dialling) and LD (loop disconnection) try the LD option, numbers take a little longer to dial out on LD, but if the problem disappears it's a line card job

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for info. I have not as yet plugged the base unit into the test socket as it is an intermittent fault the test would need to last a few weeks if the fault did not occur quickly. Also I would have to move my router to use the test socket as well and use a splitter, providing doing this is OK.

I think I will contact BT, who is my provider, and see what they say

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Contacted BT via live chat - useless as in India at working from a script

Summary of 45 min.

Cant understand it is intermittant fault

They carry out line test (as I have already done) shows no fault so their view is no fault.

They say they cannot refer a fault to OpenReach unless test shows a fault

They can sent an engineer to check mt wiring for £130

They cannot check anything at exchange unless engineer comes first

They will still charge me the £130 even if no fault is found in my wiring

If no fault still shows on test then they go away having charhed me £130 and not fixed the intermitant fault

How can they get away with such service

Where to I go next

Has anyone else experienced an intermittant fault like this

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@philmcleod wrote:

Thanks for info. I have not as yet plugged the base unit into the test socket as it is an intermittent fault the test would need to last a few weeks if the fault did not occur quickly. Also I would have to move my router to use the test socket as well and use a splitter, providing doing this is OK.

I think I will contact BT, who is my provider, and see what they say

You would have to connect things up like this.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

You will not get charged unless the fault is with your wiring.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem as david00 in a thread in Jan 2016 and have done the testing using the test socket.

Incoming calls are not affected and my fibre broadband works fine (76Mbps) even when I am having the dial out problem

I am getting nowhere with BT as although I eventually managed to get it logged as a fault, despite a normal line test showing no problem, on my account it shows fault ongoing and expected to be fixed 3 days ago. I have had no contact from BT since logging the fault last Monday and if I try phoning for an update they start the whole process again doing a normal line test.

It has been suggested that

"there are possibly two areas of suspicion , the exchange line card, or the broadband port your line uses (even if the broadband performance isn't affected)..these issues won't show up on a 'line test' "

Please help if you can

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @philmcleod

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having using your services and I appreciate the time you have taken to contact us about this.  You can send us over your details and we'll give you a hand from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi RobbieMac.

Thanks for your contact yesterday. Just a further update if it is of any help.

I tried phoning out at 8.00 this morning to a tel no that is often engaged. Same problem of sometimes getting through to a BT busy message or the office engaged closed and sometimes failing to break dial tone. Tried 36 times before getting through of which 26 reached the engaged messages but 10 failed to break the dial tone. One attempt did not break the dial tone initially but the dial tone then went off after a couple of seconds and after another couple of seconds of silence got to the engaged message.

0 Ratings