cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Re: Major Issue with Monthly Usage Allowance

All,

Although an old thread, this issue still persists.

Also, I think this is a problem at BT's end rather than consumers.

I too received the same 7GB and 13 GB mails. On checking the BT website for usage, it says 23.98GB used last month, which is impossible.

All that Internet is used for is emails and websites.

Previosuly with O2 and never even went above 5GB. So wonder what is changed.

The only reason I came to BT was, when movingg home, BT offered to connect me within 7 days, whilst O2 wanted 6 weeks!!!

But, I think relying on a dongle for 6 weeks would have been the sensible option.

BT, please investivgate and do something about this.

Regards,

Sudhir

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

this is a customer help customer forum and your posts do not go to BT   The only BT employees on the forum are the forum mods

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

@cool_techie wrote:

All,

Although an old thread, this issue still persists.

Also, I think this is a problem at BT's end rather than consumers.

I too received the same 7GB and 13 GB mails. On checking the BT website for usage, it says 23.98GB used last month, which is impossible.

All that Internet is used for is emails and websites.

Previosuly with O2 and never even went above 5GB. So wonder what is changed.

The only reason I came to BT was, when movingg home, BT offered to connect me within 7 days, whilst O2 wanted 6 weeks!!!

But, I think relying on a dongle for 6 weeks would have been the sensible option.

BT, please investivgate and do something about this.

Regards,

Sudhir

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you say what the online monitor showed for down and uploads separately ?

Without checking, did o2 have any special periods, even uploads, that may not have counted towards the figure ? Also how did you check those o2 figures ?

Did you have any extra items connected over the christmas period, or even added extra service such as netflix ?

If possible, can you check the usage hub stats daily at the same time for a few days, taking note of the difference of both up and downloads separately. This can be used as a comparison against the online monitor. After a few days any difference will become obvious

As you mentioned that you have just joined the service, checking as above for a few days will be very useful as a possible next step is to stop the BTFon service to see if that does something to your account to perhaps reset any superfluous additional items being counted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi cool_techie,  I'm only on 10Gb Option1 but have had similar problems:

1. Sudden usage spike in December to similar high level. (Never hit 10Gb before)

2. No significant change to pattern of use.

3. Request for help from BT Chat/phone took 2hours, BT polite but basically 'you've used it tough' - no advice received.

4. Found forum and followed advice (change hub password,  take/monitor daily hub readings - no reoccurance SO FAR).

5. Forum users offered lots of suggestions to explain sudden usage increase - none apply to my no gadget household.

6. No warning email received from BT in November.

The general opinion of the experienced forum users seem to be:

the BT Usage Monitor is generally accurate and mostly updated daily on time but sometimes stalls with no updates of usage for several days. Reports of 'excessive' usage are normally traced to a misunderstanding (eg someone in household changing pattern of activity or using a new gadget/site/service not realised to add to usage). Only one instance is known of where BT ever traced and resolved a fault.  

My request to BT for additional information to help me understand the December usage pattern was flatly refused.

About 20 people have reported usage spikes in December/January - no reports of BT investigating any of them. 

The route seems to be follow BT complaints process to the "on this occasion, as a gesture of goodwill" point - little chance of an investigation I'm afraid.

Other than that follow Andy's advice to check future usage.

0 Ratings